Please ID snails reproducing in my tanks

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dmax
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dmax

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2015
Messages
346
Reaction score
341
Location
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these snails reproducing in my system for some time now. I'm thinking Nassarius snails but read they don't tend to reproduce in a aquarium environment.

Any help appreciated.



.
snail.jpg
snail 1.jpg
snail 3.jpg
 
they do look like nassarius but the shell is a little different hopefully someone else can help you id these cute little guys
 
I'm hoping they aren't whelks?? Apparently not wanted in the hobby. I have had my clean up crew going on 4 years now and these little guys are constantly reproducing in the frag tanks. Read whelks will eat clams and I've never had a issue with my clam.
 
No idea but my LFS sells what they call lightning dove snails that have that general shape and seem to have some different patterns. *LFS claims they'll reproduce in aquariums so just mentioning as one possible thought
 
Yeah I second the dove snail ID.
 
Last edited:
They seem to stay on the smaller size. Never seen one get 1/2" or so. I'll look into the Dove snails. Appreciate it!
 
Interesting never heard of them at least theyre good guys haha, I used to have some banded trocus that reproduced like crazy and they kinda just died off over time when food wasnt as abundant as before
 
Interesting never heard of them at least theyre good guys haha, I used to have some banded trocus that reproduced like crazy and they kinda just died off over time when food wasnt as abundant as before
A relief knowing what they are now for sure. Pretty cool to have something like that reproduce in your system.
 
From what I'm reading I believe yall nailed it. Greatly appreciate it. Anyone need Dove snails because I have hundreds. LOL
lol, if you live in socal I’ll swing by and take some for sure! great lil guys get into small places but love the glass more. And as they reproduce, a snack for the wrasses.
 
They look like the Dove Snails I got from Reef Cleaners last week.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new