Please ID snails reproducing in my tanks

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these snails reproducing in my system for some time now. I'm thinking Nassarius snails but read they don't tend to reproduce in a aquarium environment.

Any help appreciated.

snail.jpg
snail 1.jpg
snail 3.jpg

bryznsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do look like nassarius but the shell is a little different hopefully someone else can help you id these cute little guys

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping they aren't whelks?? Apparently not wanted in the hobby. I have had my clean up crew going on 4 years now and these little guys are constantly reproducing in the frag tanks. Read whelks will eat clams and I've never had a issue with my clam.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea but my LFS sells what they call lightning dove snails that have that general shape and seem to have some different patterns. *LFS claims they'll reproduce in aquariums so just mentioning as one possible thought

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to stay on the smaller size. Never seen one get 1/2" or so. I'll look into the Dove snails. Appreciate it!

bryznsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting never heard of them at least theyre good guys haha, I used to have some banded trocus that reproduced like crazy and they kinda just died off over time when food wasnt as abundant as before

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting never heard of them at least theyre good guys haha, I used to have some banded trocus that reproduced like crazy and they kinda just died off over time when food wasnt as abundant as before
A relief knowing what they are now for sure. Pretty cool to have something like that reproduce in your system.

Maxcito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I'm reading I believe yall nailed it. Greatly appreciate it. Anyone need Dove snails because I have hundreds. LOL
lol, if you live in socal I’ll swing by and take some for sure! great lil guys get into small places but love the glass more. And as they reproduce, a snack for the wrasses.

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like the Dove Snails I got from Reef Cleaners last week.

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like the Dove Snails I got from Reef Cleaners last week.
Funny because the last clean up crew I ordered was from them and I didn't order any Dove snails but apparently received some. That had to be 3-4 years ago.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back