Purple Bonsai? Is this normal?

1112-425XL

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
5,217
Reaction score
37,332
Location
Trinity Fl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These flowery things are taking over this coral, is it part of the coral?
IMG_20240430_183759.jpg
IMG_20240430_183559.jpg
 
Your bonsai flesh is peeling off exposing skeleton

Your bonsai is infested with clove polyps - a coral that is considered invasive due to its ability to spread rapidly and smother corals
273C83C1-E1AC-4080-BAFC-347BEA388E90.jpeg
 
These flowery things are taking over this coral, is it part of the coral?
IMG_20240430_183759.jpg
IMG_20240430_183559.jpg
There are cloves polyps taking over the coral and you can place in a container of tank water and cut them off at the base of each stem
 
No, I don't believe that's part of the coral. Looks like blue polyps?

Those look like star polyps and can be aggressive overtaking other corals.

Your bonsai flesh is peeling off exposing skeleton

Your bonsai is infested with clove polyps - a coral that is considered invasive due to its ability to spread rapidly and smother corals
273C83C1-E1AC-4080-BAFC-347BEA388E90.jpeg
Removing the whole rock as we speak!
Thanks for the help!
 
There are cloves polyps taking over the coral and you can place in a container of tank water and cut them off at the base of each stem
To many to deal with. It's a loss. I'd rather have the whole rock out of my system. Thanks
 
I agree with your decision to remove the rock.

If you see them pop up anywhere else do not delay in plucking them out
Found this guy hiding deep inside the bonsai when I broke it apart.
IMG_20240430_193602.jpg
 
Found this guy hiding deep inside the bonsai when I broke it apart.
IMG_20240430_193602.jpg
That's beautiful. I have never seen a micro brittle star so pretty.
 
Beneficial critter. I keep them also. Although yours is particularly nice. They eat detritus and they are harmless. Come out more at night or you’ll see them waving their arms out of cracks in rocks or under frag plugs
 
That's beautiful. I have never seen a micro brittle star so pretty.
Looks like the few that are in my system, they stay in one place for months at a time before moving and they get large. Here's one that made it's way into my tank
20240308_201010.jpg
20240308_201134.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new