0   0   0
clown.jpg

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought orange skunks had the white mohawk line from nose to tail and thats it. Looks like a percula misbar to me. Either way still a cool lookin fish.

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm i thought it was a skunk untill i noticed what pitcom said, the reason i want to know is bc i want to buy one, i saw this under google images and thought it was awsome

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm i thought it was a skunk untill i noticed what pitcom said, the reason i want to know is bc i want to buy one, i saw this under google images and thought it was awsome

Take a look at a white bonnet clown, It may actually be what you have pictured. I just dont know enough about them to know thier markings.

Amphiprion leucokranos is the name.

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ik i love it now comes the hard part lol finding some one who wants to sell it or a store that has one!

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thiellei are just about impossible to come by, if I recall correctly, Julian Sprung was able to get 1 and only 1 other string of this clownfish have been id'ed in the aquarium trade.

Refer to here for more details:
http://www.rareclownfish.com/forums/f15/a-theillie-1810/?highlight=thiellei
http://www.rareclownfish.com/forums...ere-do-they-come-from-1377/?highlight=thielli
http://www.rareclownfish.com/forums/f15/thiellei-or-leucokranos-753/?highlight=thiellei

Hope we're allowed to link to other forums, if not feel free to remove the links.

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And btw I'm going to have to go with a. leukcranos. As the white stripe does not extend far enough to make it a thiellei

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THose are extreamly rare in the trade if not impossiable to find.....Good luck with your search, if you do find one it will be very expensive as well......The ID you have is correct as well....

Amphibious

Oldest Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, the debate goes on and on about A. thiellei. Here's the A. thiellei I bought at a LFS. It came in a shipment from the Philippines in a bag marked "saddleback clowns". All the rest of the clowns from that bag were the usual A. polymnus (predominately black and white). I asked the owner, how much for the "odd one"? When he said, $15. I said, I'll take the "odd one". What's he worth? Don't know but, more than $15. He wouldn't eat much for two days and looked pretty weak. He's in my 135 with my fishy pigs and he soon got the idea, what I was dropping in is food.

DSC_0027.jpg

If you look on page 110/111 in Dr. Gerald Allen's book "Anemone Fishes" (co-authored with Daphne Fautin), you will find the original description and two pictures of what was identified then as Amphiprion thiellei by Burgess in 1981 from specimens of unknown origin. It appears that (according to Dr. Allen) the species was described from two specimens obtained from a pet dealer.

I e-mailed the picture of my fish above to Dr. Allen and received the following response. It's not a direct quote because the e-mail is locked in my "frozen" PC. I now own and operate from an iMAC.

A. thiellei is not a distinct species but a hybrid possibly betweem A. ocellaris and A. sandaracinos. Not enough specimens have been scientifically studied to make a definite determination as to origin because people who are fortunate enough to find one are reluctant to give it up to science for dissection.

Mine has paired up with my A. percula and both host in my RBTA.

DSC_0006-2.jpg

When I bought the fish six months ago, it was very emaciated with ragged fins. Now it's in great shape. As soon as I get the aquaculture building finished and tanks set up the "pair" will have their own quarters for, hopefully, breeding. Their offspring should be interesting.

Dick

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 104 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 110 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.3%
Back