Please If you want timely help. Help us help you!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want timely help. Help us help you by posting pertinent information about your tank. Tank size, age, lights, parameters And anything else you think may be relevant. We should not have to ask these questions in every help wanted thread. Having to just means you will not get the answers you want as soon as you may need them.
Stating your parameters are fine is pretty much useless. Fine for what? Some thing prefer different conditions. It tells me your probably new and don’t have decent test kits, making it harder to diagnose what ever the problem is.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want timely help. Help us help you by posting pertinent information about your tank. Tank size, age, lights, parameters And anything else you think may be relevant. We should not have to ask these questions in every help wanted thread. Having to just means you will not get the answers you want as soon as you may need them.
Stating your parameters are fine is pretty much useless. Fine for what? Some thing prefer different conditions. It tells me your probably new and don’t have decent test kits, making it harder to diagnose what ever the problem is.
Unfortunately from reading many of the help posts it seems many new hobbyists do not possess the testing equipment or the knowledge required to know their water parameters. Others appear to be told by their lfs that their water is okay without giving them any test results. In my opinion there are far too many stores selling people the equipment to set a tank up yet failing to also sell them the knowledge to look after the tank.

Shaun.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately from reading many of the help posts it seems many new hobbyists do not possess the testing equipment or the knowledge required to know their water parameters. Others appear to be told by their lfs that their water is okay without giving them any test results. In my opinion there are far too many stores selling people the equipment to set a tank up yet failing to also sell them the knowledge to look after the tank.

Shaun.

You are so correct not all but most lfs are in it to sell plain and simple. The less a person knows the more they sell due to loss of livestock. But in all reality you can’t hold the lfs 100% accountable a person needs to research for themselves also. We have information at our fingertips pretty much anywhere we go look stuff up read ask questions etc. No way would I spend what a setup cost with out researching first plain and simple. A fool and his money are soon parted.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are so correct not all but most lfs are in it to sell plain and simple. The less a person knows the more they sell due to loss of livestock. But in all reality you can’t hold the lfs 100% accountable a person needs to research for themselves also. We have information at our fingertips pretty much anywhere we go look stuff up read ask questions etc. No way would I spend what a setup cost with out researching first plain and simple. A fool and his money are soon parted.
Yep, I completely agree with you mate about lfs not being 100% accountable. I’ll be honest and wouldn’t even put them as 50% accountable. When I decided to set my first tank up I gave myself 6 months for research before I bought a single thing apart from books. Sadly I know I’m in a minority.

These days it’s more a case of, ‘oh that all in one system seems a decent price, lets have it, how hard can it be? we can always buy some more fish if we kill these ones right’

In my opinion the blame with Lfs lies in not asking questions about systems and suchlike before selling stock. It’s not just over there either, we have plenty of unethical stores in the UK too.

Shaun.

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shaun.
I agree, which makes it really hard to offer any real help in many cases.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, which makes it really hard to offer any real help in many cases.
It’s unlikely to change I’m afraid. All we can do is continue to ask the questions that need to be asked in order to try and help people overcome problems in their tanks. Whether they are interested or take that advice is ultimately up to how much they care about the hobby.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back