Please Rate the Viability of My Disease Prevention Plan and the fish on my stocking list. Thanks.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Since I currently don’t have the room for a separate QT system, which is very unfortunate, I will have to make sure my stocking list is as disease resistant as possible and compatible with my disease prevention plan. Once I move to a bigger place or get a bigger tank in the future, I will definitely have a separate QT system. My DT will be 183 gallons, 6 foot by 2.3 foot by 1.8 foot (72”x28”x22”).

My disease prevention plan involves the use of a UV sterilizer (LFS recommends I turn it on no more than 2 hours a day, so I’m aiming for 2 hours) and feeding a varied diet of frozen, flake, and pellet foods from brands such as Ocean Nutrition, First Bite, Hikari, Easy Reef, and Dr. Bassleer (Munster Aquatics).

After getting advice from WetWebMedia, I will feed 2 times a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Moderate amounts, and I will be varying the foods I feed my fish. I plan to use Selcon Concentrate, Aqua Forest V, and Beta Glucan to supplement my feedings, alternating between them (that means I will feed supplemented foods 3 days a week).

As for the fish stocking list itself, I would love your input on the order I add them based on my current disease prevention strategy. My LFS has offered to take my sick fish to the store if they’re sick, and the most I can do is to get the healthiest specimens possible and place a deposit if needed.

I would also like to know more about the fallow period for a new setup, but here’s what I have in mind for fish:

Absolutely confirmed-

3 Pajama Cardinalfish

2 Ocellaris Clownfish

1 Marine Betta

1 One Spot Foxface / Foxface Lo / Magnificent Foxface

1 Flame Hawkfish

1 Blue Throat Triggerfish

1 Yellow Tang

For a total of 12-13 fish, I want to choose between the following selections for the remaining 2-3 fish:

1. Lamarck’s Angel or Scribbled Angel + Yellow Eye Kole Tang

2. A pair of Bellus / Spotbreast / Watanabei Angels + Yellow Eye Kole Tang

3. Lamarck’s or Scribbled Angel + Black and White Bannerfish (Heniochus Acuminatus)

4. Lamarck’s Angel + Scribbled Angel

I also don’t want to overstock my tank. The tank will have no inverts, so that’s one less avenue for disease going into the tank.

Credits to @brandon429

Would love all of your input. Thanks.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. this is excellent efforts and planning. i recommended this forum so we can get some insight into reasonable disease preps, so that people can find a balance between good chance of success + making the best use of a cycled tank without undue wait.

Last edited:

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people think it’s so hard to qt. You can put a 40 breeder in your bathtub

Well... maybe a 20 long.

Point is I don’t have to be pretty or permanent

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 10 fish that are confirmed for my list (recently removed the idea of a Royal Gramma due to the presence of the Marine Betta and BTT, and the Hogfish because of potential aggression issues) I selected them because they look pretty enough and they are traditionally hardy and disease resistant species. Especially ones like the Clowns, Foxface, Triggerfish, Marine Betta, Hawkfish, PJ Cardinals, maybe even the Yellow Tang.

This leaves the remaining 2 or 3 slots for angels and a butterfly (Heniochus) and maybe a Yellow Eye Kole Tang in one of the stocking plans I’m considering above.

I know Genicanthus are very hardy once established and if the specimens are healthy (at least Lamarck’s and Spotbreast but I’ve heard good stuff about Watanabei and Bellus too), the durability of the Scribbled Angelfish, Black and White Bannerfish, and Yellow Eye Kole Tang (compared to the Yellow Tang and marine fish in general) are more of a mystery to me.

Considering my current limited space and resources, if I really wanted to be conservative about my stocking, other than the 10 fish I mentioned above, I’d probably stick with Genicanthus for the angels and a Cream for a second or third angel, but I find the Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Scribbled Angel, and Bannerfish beautiful too.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back