Please share your experience of keeping H. Crispa vs M. Doreensis

Lothar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking to keep an H. Crispa or M. Doreensis for some pink skunks and was hoping to get some opinions on which one may be easier to keep than the other. Is one a better shipper, easier to acclimate, better in an average mixed tank for flow and lighting, doesn't wander as much, etc.? I've kept multiple BTA's and a Gig in the past, but never one of these.

Thanks

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tend to come in bleached or dyed, which should be avoided. Both are very hardy if they arrive healthy. One particular difference is that the LTA will want a deep sand bed to bury their foot in, while the Crispa anemones just like to grab a rock slightly below the sand line, so 2 inches of sand is typically adequate.

OP
OP
L

Lothar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip about the sand bed. I only have a 2.75" to 3" sand bed so it looks like the Crispa would be a better choice.
Both tend to come in bleached or dyed, which should be avoided. Both are very hardy if they arrive healthy. One particular difference is that the LTA will want a deep sand bed to bury their foot in, while the Crispa anemones just like to grab a rock slightly below the sand line, so 2 inches of sand is typically adequate.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crispa is a rock anemone. They tend to live on rock instead of sand.
normally LTA does require perhaps a thicker and bed. LTA does not like a lot of flow. Light does not need to be extremely bright either.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LTA’s tend to be hardier in my opinion. If a sebae is healthy it’s not any more difficult than an lta, but they are much more sensitive initially than a lta.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LTA’s tend to be hardier in my opinion. If a sebae is healthy it’s not any more difficult than an lta, but they are much more sensitive initially than a lta.

Alex.qld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a crispa for 4-5 years with pink skunks in it. It lived inside a rock cavern with its foot in the sand underneath. It has since overgrown the rock and has settled in the sand in front of a rock
Id rate it as very easy and one of my favourite reefmates

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back