Please share your mixed tank photos and experience

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi all good everything. I have 6 months old 300g lps dominated tank now and getting my first sps next week . I heard it’s very difficult to have sps and lps mixed tank . Anyone has successfully kept mixed tank please share your tank photos and experience . How do you manage perfect lighting and flows to keep both sps and lps thrive . The photo is my current tank . I am nervous to add my 1st sps . I hope I won’t kill them
DD2FC47C-1B58-4D91-BEFA-83A02B19F345.jpeg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question to you is where are you going to add them? The tank already looks too crowded. Adding more SPS into such a crowded tank is not going to end well. Coral warfare will quickly become a problem.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My question to you is where are you going to add them? The tank already looks too crowded. Adding more SPS into such a crowded tank is not going to end well. Coral warfare will quickly become a problem.
To top of the island . Use some coral sticks maybe to build structure on top of the island . Some gonis need to be relocated . It’s peninsula design . The other side of tank is not full

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having pretty good luck. I built a lot of structure at varying heights and keep the SPS in the upper sections and the LPS in the lower sections. I found it really useful to rent a PAR meter early on and I dialed my lights such that the upper reaches hit the lower level of SPS needs and the low-mid are well suited for LPS. The PAR meter really helps you understand what you're working with. Also helps to choose less picky, lower light tolerant SPS. I have some easier ones such as birds nest and stylophora that are growing like crazy, and some trickier ones that are living but growing REALLY slowly. In my opinion, you could use some more vertical in your structure to support some SPS up higher. Again, the PAR meter really helps you understand the significant differences in your tank at different depths and distance from lights horizontally (if you have any spots).

Here's a recent pic of my tank illustrating how I have it laid out. The bad illustrations at the top are representing that I have two LED spot lights at the top which create a hot spot in the middle suitable for some SPS. It falls off around the edges so I have some LPS up high on the sides or back corners but the middle is my SPS zone.
IMG_3023.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Great looking start. Lots of trial & error. The corals will let you know when you get it right!

Here’s my before and after:

1678330878753.jpeg

How many years does take to get after ? Those torches are insane
Also where are those scolies, plate and zoas in the after tank ?

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I am having pretty good luck. I built a lot of structure at varying heights and keep the SPS in the upper sections and the LPS in the lower sections. I found it really useful to rent a PAR meter early on and I dialed my lights such that the upper reaches hit the lower level of SPS needs and the low-mid are well suited for LPS. The PAR meter really helps you understand what you're working with. Also helps to choose less picky, lower light tolerant SPS. I have some easier ones such as birds nest and stylophora that are growing like crazy, and some trickier ones that are living but growing REALLY slowly. In my opinion, you could use some more vertical in your structure to support some SPS up higher. Again, the PAR meter really helps you understand the significant differences in your tank at different depths and distance from lights horizontally (if you have any spots)
Right now my bottom tank is about 120 par , top of the rock only 240 highest . I don’t think it’s enough to support sps . Agree with u , need to build more vertical structure higher.

do u know any acros less picky and low light tolerance ?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To top of the island . Use some coral sticks maybe to build structure on top of the island . Some gonis need to be relocated . It’s peninsula design . The other side of tank is not full
Looks like your rock is completely covered with frags one right next to the other. As they grow you will be left with no room. Peninsula or not I’d add some more rock structures and spread out what you have.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Looks like your rock is completely covered with frags one right next to the other. As they grow you will be left with no room. Peninsula or not I’d add some more rock structures and spread out what you have.
Thanks for advise . I know I bought too many

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mixed reef. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.

Hi all good everything. I have 6 months old 300g lps dominated tank now and getting my first sps next week . I heard it’s very difficult to have sps and lps mixed tank . Anyone has successfully kept mixed tank please share your tank photos and experience . How do you manage perfect lighting and flows to keep both sps and lps thrive . The photo is my current tank . I am nervous to add my 1st sps . I hope I won’t kill them
DD2FC47C-1B58-4D91-BEFA-83A02B19F345.jpeg
My mixed reef. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions, tired from golfing the last 3 days and falling asleep.

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for advise . I know I bought too many
It may or may not be too many in the end, but I think it's too many for the rather sparse base rock you have right now. Perhaps buy a batch of marco rock and build out some more structure to spread them out. You seem to have loads of free space. Check out the videos on BRS for building out HNSA aquascapes, that's how I built mine out and it was pretty easy and fun and turned out really great.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I am having pretty good luck. I built a lot of structure at varying heights and keep the SPS in the upper sections and the LPS in the lower sections. I found it really useful to rent a PAR meter early on and I dialed my lights such that the upper reaches hit the lower level of SPS needs and the low-mid are well suited for LPS. The PAR meter really helps you understand what you're working with. Also helps to choose less picky, lower light tolerant SPS. I have some easier ones such as birds nest and stylophora that are growing like crazy, and some trickier ones that are living but growing REALLY slowly. In my opinion, you could use some more vertical in your structure to support some SPS up higher. Again, the PAR meter really helps you understand the significant differences in your tank at different depths and distance from lights horizontally (if you have any spots).

Here's a recent pic of my tank illustrating how I have it laid out. The bad illustrations at the top are representing that I have two LED spot lights at the top which create a hot spot in the middle suitable for some SPS. It falls off around the edges so I have some LPS up high on the sides or back corners but the middle is my SPS zone.
IMG_3023.JPG
What’s par levels u have at sps and lps Portion ? Do you think when ur sps grow larger in the future will put too much shade over lps ?

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my bottom tank is about 120 par , top of the rock only 240 highest . I don’t think it’s enough to support sps . Agree with u , need to build more vertical structure higher.

do u know any acros less picky and low light tolerance ?
My upper reaches are in that low to mid 200's range as well. I have stylophora growing really fast, pocillopora growing moderately fast, 3 types of birds nest all growing pretty quickly, digitata growing slowly, a tabling acro growing pretty fast, and 2 other acro's that I can't recall that are looking great but barely growing.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens. I did the same when I started. You get excited and want all different types. Better off going with less and letting them grow out. Coral warfare is one of the bigger problem especially in a mixed reef. It’s a catch-22. You want your corals to grow, but when they grow and kill other corals you want them to stop growing. Here’s a few pics of my mixed reef.
CD1D40A8-33FA-4317-88C7-DD4B58800C8F.jpeg
6CB583A0-AFFF-4631-89BA-67D961EA9DC5.jpeg

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s par levels u have at sps and lps Portion ? Do you think when ur sps grow larger in the future will put too much shade over lps ?
I think that if I get to that point it will be a "good problem to have". In all seriousness though, I doubt it, my tank is quite deep front to back so in addition to vertical, I have them pretty well spread front to back. Most of the corals should continue to have a clean sight line to the light for the forseeable long future. I also have a wide reef brite led that hits the reef from the front in addition to kessil's in the middle so it gives the lower light coral another light source other than straight above.

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens. I did the same when I started. You get excited and want all different types. Better off going with less and letting them grow out. Coral warfare is one of the bigger problem especially in a mixed reef. It’s a catch-22. You want your corals to grow, but when they grow and kill other corals you want them to stop growing. Here’s a few pics of my mixed reef.
CD1D40A8-33FA-4317-88C7-DD4B58800C8F.jpeg
6CB583A0-AFFF-4631-89BA-67D961EA9DC5.jpeg
That is stunning, and huge, how many gallons?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back