Please show your Tonga branch aquascape work. Thanks

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 20 lbs. of Tropic Eden Supreme Tonga Branch Rock and want to do a nice aquascape work with them. Anyone has good aquascape with branching Tonga rocks?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally saw people earlier in another thread talking about how much they like Tonga Branches. I will follow this thread to see how many bite. I will also hit #reefsquad up because I am sure some of them will have some aquascapes with Tonga Branches, and hopefully their presence will attract others.

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I do not see many aquascape with Tonga branches. Most nice aquascapes are done with shelf (flat) rocks and floating rocks designs.

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171225_140639.jpeg
This was mine before it was covered with Acropora

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, although I'm in the midst of removing & replacing some of the colonies. Here's a shot of it populated with frags and how they grew out before I started hacking.
20180728_125607.jpeg
20190709_131451_edited.jpeg
Now that is what I call great growth from branching aquascape. Using branching formation decreases volume of the rocks yet allowing water flow and stepwise height for frags placement. I was concerned at first on having a base for acros to encrust first before vertical growth but the photos look like the frags still grow out good.

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that is what I call great growth from branching aquascape. Using branching formation decreases volume of the rocks yet allowing water flow and stepwise height for frags placement. I was concerned at first on having a base for acros to encrust first before vertical growth but the photos look like the frags still grow out good.
If I ever completely drain and redo it, I would probably make small ledges to place acros. Some corals do seem to mind being side-attached, and some stop growing when they run out of room to expand their bases, so space them wider than one wants to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever completely drain and redo it, I would probably make small ledges to place acros. Some corals do seem to mind being side-attached, and some stop growing when they run out of room to expand their base, so space them wider than one wants to.
I actually was thinking of gluing small flat ledges on the sides of the the branches took to let the frags have some horizontal base to encrust first. Glad you had the same thinking :)

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just starting to setup an unused 10 gallon as a second nano reef, and all these photos of Tonga Branches are making me want to go that route instead of just rocks. Or maybe even a mixture of the two. I need to start a build thread so I can get some opinions lol

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks great. Makes me want to buy another Monti Cap... no.... gotta wait for 10 gallon to be setup and cycled first...must...resist.....
They grow quick! Lol. I like it but it does take up a ton of space.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back