New eel owner of pair of Bananas. Tank setup suggestions

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have purchased and am now selecting from a vendor a pair or banana eels and I would love some suggestions on setup.

I am planning on running a network of pvc all around the sandbed in at least 2 foot sections. Is that going to be long enough for them as adults? I was told 1.5” pvc was adequate for the pair as adults. Is that enough for this smaller eel or do I need to run 1.75” or even 2”?

Why does everyone only use rigid PVC for their eel caves? Has anyone had success using flexible tubing to allow for more complex networks? It’s a Tonga branch aquascape so it would be easy to disguise with some ceramic clay coating.

I love the banana eels the most but would it ever get along with a dwarf platinum or ribbon eel? I can feel I am already addicted hehe.

Anyone curious, they will be going in a im 150 lagoon with gem tang, hybrid tang, pair of blue chin triggers and may add a copperband or an angelfish in the distant future.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the straight tube would allow them more options for "stretching out" inside than one with bends. I also wonder if they would prefer a dead end tube vs open ended? I have not kept eels in tubes but thinking about the rock jetties where eels hang out they might prefer extra openings for milling about?

I do love ribbon eels, and I would suspect that I would have trouble with eels eating anything they could grab when I am on vacation and my feeding guy misses a few days of checking in? It will be cool if you get a mating pair of goldies! This is going to be a neat tank to observe. :cool:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two banana eels in that setup is going to be tight, optimally those eels would be happier in at least a 6' tank. While banana eels are a milder fang tooth, they are still fang tooth eels and fish choices in a 150g with two fang tooth eels will be risky. Personally I would not keep any of your mentioned fish with two fang tooth eels, or really even one in a 4' tank. Ribbon eels will definitely not do well in a 4' tank and they are not suitable to be housed with fang tooth eels, they are too delicate to handle any attack of a fang tooth as well as take extra special consideration in care, especially feeding. I am always giving my opinions on long term success, not initial success with juvenile eels.

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 8 footer is in the works for the next 4 years. Getting them at ~8 inches I think I can keep up with their growth.

I am going to stick with the banana eels and no ribbons. I also am going to ask about a pair of platinum dwarfs if I can’t swing the bananas logistically. I got each for 600 so it’s hard to pass up.

Any other opinion on the diameter of tubing? 1.5 in seems to be the common suggestion

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got two eels in a six foot tank. I didnt do anything special for aquascape except make sure the base rock was on the glass and it was sturdy. Juv eels also grow faster than you think so just be prepared. Also no guarantee the two banana eels will get along either, would be ready to intervene at any point since eel fights are nasty. I got super lucky with my two eels, they snuggle and share a burrow but not everyone is that way! @Slocke also is a good source for eel info and @lion king is an excellent source for predators and tank mates

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 8 footer is in the works for the next 4 years. Getting them at ~8 inches I think I can keep up with their growth.

I am going to stick with the banana eels and no ribbons. I also am going to ask about a pair of platinum dwarfs if I can’t swing the bananas logistically. I got each for 600 so it’s hard to pass up.

Any other opinion on the diameter of tubing? 1.5 in seems to be the common suggestion

I don't know what you are referring to as "platinum dwarfs", could you give the scientific name. Most eels if fed properly will be full grown and have a mature additude within a couple of years.

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have purchased and am now selecting from a vendor a pair or banana eels and I would love some suggestions on setup.

I am planning on running a network of pvc all around the sandbed in at least 2 foot sections. Is that going to be long enough for them as adults? I was told 1.5” pvc was adequate for the pair as adults. Is that enough for this smaller eel or do I need to run 1.75” or even 2”?

Why does everyone only use rigid PVC for their eel caves? Has anyone had success using flexible tubing to allow for more complex networks? It’s a Tonga branch aquascape so it would be easy to disguise with some ceramic clay coating.

I love the banana eels the most but would it ever get along with a dwarf platinum or ribbon eel? I can feel I am already addicted hehe.

Anyone curious, they will be going in a im 150 lagoon with gem tang, hybrid tang, pair of blue chin triggers and may add a copperband or an angelfish in the distant future.
For how long have you had the ribbon eel? If he's already established then it might cause some problem's but that's just a hunch, in my knowledge ribbon eel's are really delicate and even just a slight change may cause them to go on a hunger strike.

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got two eels in a six foot tank. I didnt do anything special for aquascape except make sure the base rock was on the glass and it was sturdy. Juv eels also grow faster than you think so just be prepared. Also no guarantee the two banana eels will get along either, would be ready to intervene at any point since eel fights are nasty. I got super lucky with my two eels, they snuggle and share a burrow but not everyone is that way! @Slocke also is a good source for eel info and @lion king is an excellent source for predators and tank mates
Thanks for the suggestions. The dwarf eels I am referring to are gymnothorax melatremus. They max out at 12 inches.

I am gonna get pricing on some dwarf eels as well. I really was hoping to have them in my SPS with my at least my trigger pair, metallic/royal fox face, and my Red Sea sailfin.

When discussing my stocking plan with my LFS who has a huge eel collection and he seemed to think the bananas would stay small enough to leave the 10+ inch fish alone.

What should I expect price wise for a pair of dwarf eels (gymnothorax melatremus)?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. The dwarf eels I am referring to are gymnothorax melatremus. They max out at 12 inches.

I am gonna get pricing on some dwarf eels as well. I really was hoping to have them in my SPS with my at least my trigger pair, metallic/royal fox face, and my Red Sea sailfin.

When discussing my stocking plan with my LFS who has a huge eel collection and he seemed to think the bananas would stay small enough to leave the 10+ inch fish alone.

What should I expect price wise for a pair of dwarf eels (gymnothorax melatremus)?
I have no idea they are out of my price range most expensive deal I have a jeweled and he was like half off from my store cause they were just trying to get get rid of him lol

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what you are referring to as "platinum dwarfs", could you give the scientific name. Most eels if fed properly will be full grown and have a mature additude within a couple of years.
@lion king I have read so many of your posts in doing research for this. Thank you for the guidance in the general community!

First, The dwarf eels I am referring to are gymnothorax melatremus. They max out at 12 inches. I have heard so many names, please excuse my ignorance.

I prefer the look of the bananas but I would like to have my gem tang or blue chin trigger pair in there to give it some movement. Is a tang or trigger going to be small enough to be food?

Stocking suggestions with two bananas and SPS with an urchins and sifting star CUC?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king I have read so many of your posts in doing research for this. Thank you for the guidance in the general community!

First, The dwarf eels I am referring to are gymnothorax melatremus. They max out at 12 inches. I have heard so many names, please excuse my ignorance.

I prefer the look of the bananas but I would like to have my gem tang or blue chin trigger pair in there to give it some movement. Is a tang or trigger going to be small enough to be food?

Stocking suggestions with two bananas and SPS with an urchins and sifting star CUC?

One comment I always make, "this hobby is not absolute". These small fang tooth eels grow pretty quickly, usually reaching 2' and as thick as a man's wrist in well less than 2 years. They are dynamic swimmers and do not like being cramped, they are much more dangerous in smaller tanks. They do best with what's considered "aggressive fish". I don't consider gem tangs or bluejaw triggers to be aggressive. While in a larger tank these fish "may" be fine, I would not trust this in a smaller tank. Experiences with juvenile fang tooth eels can not be compared to a mature fang tooth eel, those that have had positive results with fang tooth eels keep them in larger tanks with aggressive fish. Honestly the tank needs to be at least 180g and 6' in length; even then the wimpy bluejaws and zebrasoma tangs still may not up to task of handling a full grown mature banana eel. BUT the banana eels do have a mild mannered reputation.

Personally I am not a fan of the gymnothorax melatremus, these are known to me as notorious biters, but these are also commonly kept in really small tanks. I would look for others experiences with these, but take note of how long they have had them and tank size. The same applies to temperament over time with these eels.

An urchin and sifting star would not usually be something a banana eel would bother with.

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One comment I always make, "this hobby is not absolute". These small fang tooth eels grow pretty quickly, usually reaching 2' and as thick as a man's wrist in well less than 2 years. They are dynamic swimmers and do not like being cramped, they are much more dangerous in smaller tanks. They do best with what's considered "aggressive fish". I don't consider gem tangs or bluejaw triggers to be aggressive. While in a larger tank these fish "may" be fine, I would not trust this in a smaller tank. Experiences with juvenile fang tooth eels can not be compared to a mature fang tooth eel, those that have had positive results with fang tooth eels keep them in larger tanks with aggressive fish. Honestly the tank needs to be at least 180g and 6' in length; even then the wimpy bluejaws and zebrasoma tangs still may not up to task of handling a full grown mature banana eel. BUT the banana eels do have a mild mannered reputation.

Personally I am not a fan of the gymnothorax melatremus, these are known to me as notorious biters, but these are also commonly kept in really small tanks. I would look for others experiences with these, but take note of how long they have had them and tank size. The same applies to temperament over time with these eels.

An urchin and sifting star would not usually be something a banana eel would bother with.
Do you have any pebbletooth eel suggestions that would be happy with those tank mates?

I might have to pay some fees to return the bananas, but better they go to someone who wants a species only.

I have seen some groupers that looks beautiful, are there any that could survive with the pair of bananas? Anything that can survive with the bananas?

Would the eels bother meat corals? I could let the pair have the whole tank if I can put my trachys and acanthos.

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pebbletooth eel suggestions that would be happy with those tank mates?

I might have to pay some fees to return the bananas, but better they go to someone who wants a species only.

I have seen some groupers that looks beautiful, are there any that could survive with the pair of bananas? Anything that can survive with the bananas?

Would the eels bother meat corals? I could let the pair have the whole tank if I can put my trachys and acanthos.
It is possible to keep a grouper but unless you have a large enough tank i wouldn't recommend it since some groupers grow to about close to 3 feet

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eels will not bother corals.

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my lfs already ordered the pair. The shop is somewhat of an eel specialty store stocking 15 to 20 eels consistently. He has had luck with adult bananas and most tangs. I am not as brazen as putting a yurple tang as he is currently in the tank but a few 50-70 dollar fish seem reasonable. A sailfin tang or a hippo tang and maybe something else in the 10 to 12 inch range. Still trying to figure out the diameter of the holes I was looking at for them to be happy. Is 2 inches enough for the pair?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick note on pvc vs flex - you can use a heat gun to (slowly and carefully) bend PVC, so you get the benefit of custom bends like with flex tubing but retain the rigity of the PVC once it cools back down.

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick note on pvc vs flex - you can use a heat gun to (slowly and carefully) bend PVC, so you get the benefit of custom bends like with flex tubing but retain the rigity of the PVC once it cools back down.
Thats a good idea, I have worked with bending hard tubing when building some liquid cooled computer rigs. Now to get some tube balloons and some sand to prevent kinks.

What are your thoughts on making caves out of live rock? I was thinking of using the pvc more as a mold and building with rubble a few 2 foot caves then removing the pvc. I think it would look much better and is closer to their natural environment.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with keeping eels, but I know I personally would constantly worry about rock collapsing and squishing them. I'd leave the PVC and just disguise the entries with rubble etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back