Bellus Angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I would like to consider an eel for my mature 1000 litre reef tank
The reef is covered but with a mesh guard rather than glass
The tank holds sps corals and now has a range of fish including butterfly fish and large angels
As you can see I enjoy pushing the boundaries
I was considering a zebra eel or a white ribbon eel
I am happy to modify things to accommodate an eel
What do people think stupid idea or possible with serious planning?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zebra eel would be an excellent addition, they are very fish friendly as well as are not known to be destructive to the scape. While your fish would be safe unless you also have smaller reef fish, the white ribbon will eat small fish and are known to difficult in feeding long term.

OP
OP
B

Bellus Angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I need to put in some pipe under the reef or will they be fine just under the large coral structure

OP
OP
B

Bellus Angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the idea of a ribbon eel for their elegant body and I am tempted.As you say the zebra eel maybe a better option. What size fish would count as small in terms of risk of been eaten. Smallest I have is a royal gramma

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I need to put in some pipe under the reef or will they be fine just under the large coral structure

I wouldn't say so as long as you built your rock foundation solidly. If you didn't plan for an eel, your rocks have to be in a way to create tunnels/pathways for the eel to travel. This eel also can get quite large, so the area in the rocks have to be in a way for them to conceal their entire body. I would also have at least 3 openings, they can be at each end with at least one opening into the front of the tank.

I do like the idea of a ribbon eel for their elegant body and I am tempted.As you say the zebra eel maybe a better option. What size fish would count as small in terms of risk of been eaten. Smallest I have is a royal gramma

Royal gramma would be toast. I would also suggest some serious research into the care of ribbon eels. These eels have a very high mortality rate and rarely even live a year in captivity. Mostly comes down to feeding, while they may accept dead foods, they will frequently refuse and if not fed an adequate diet can suffer from nutritional deficiencies pretty quickly. Honestly I only see this eel surviving long term when live fish is included in their diet. While some have reported them being easier than the black/ribbon, they are actually recognized as the same species and I find their mortality rate to be right in line with the black/blue.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I would like to consider an eel for my mature 1000 litre reef tank
The reef is covered but with a mesh guard rather than glass
The tank holds sps corals and now has a range of fish including butterfly fish and large angels
As you can see I enjoy pushing the boundaries
I was considering a zebra eel or a white ribbon eel
I am happy to modify things to accommodate an eel
What do people think stupid idea or possible with serious planning?
Ive got two eels in my reef.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smallest fish I have is a 2 and a half inch midas blenny and two mandarin dragonets. Eels leave them alone since their slime coat is toxic. They leave him alone but he has a barnacle he lives in. Put a cleaner wrasse in there and one of them ate it. Fair chance the royal gramma would be eaten.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_3240.jpeg
    IMG_3240.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3181.jpeg
    IMG_3181.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3121.jpeg
    IMG_3121.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
B

Bellus Angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“While some have reported them being easier than the black/ribbon, they are actually recognized as the same species”
I thought the white ribbon eel was a different species

Pseudechidna brummeri​

Compared to the black/blue ribbon eel Rhinomuraena quaesita
Are you suggesting the care is very similar though?
(sorry for the changing fonts)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I love them, very fun. No issues with corals. Ivar (the jeweled) gets a little roudy when feeding and has knocked a few over but thats the worst he has done

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“While some have reported them being easier than the black/ribbon, they are actually recognized as the same species”
I thought the white ribbon eel was a different species

Pseudechidna brummeri​

Compared to the black/blue ribbon eel Rhinomuraena quaesita
Are you suggesting the care is very similar though?
(sorry for the changing fonts)

Care is the same, I always thought they were close relatives to the R. quaesita, but some actually suggest they are the same species. My observations lean toward them being a different species. They do seem to acclimate easier but do seem to be just as difficult in long term care. When researching eels, as well as other species, take care to take note of how long people have their eels. Depending on maturity at introduction, I consider the honeymoon stage could be as long as 2 years, and many will seem fine all the way up to the end. You will be hard pressed to find anyone keeping these ghost ribbons as long as 2 years.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should just sum it this way. The ghost eel is a high maintenance eel over time, and feeding them properly is a big challenge. I have watched many of these eels perish very early on, and the response is almost always the same, " they just stopped eating". They, as with many eels, can also come in with internal parasites. If you handle that possibility, and you are ok with challenges in feeding, then go for it. It is a very beautiful eel, but as I stated earlier, fish like the royal gramma will likely be eaten. Maybe not today, but one day, sometimes maybe even a year goes by. Honestly any small reef fish can be in danger from any eel.

OP
OP
B

Bellus Angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think based on this thread I will go for a juvenile zebra eel that is eating in the shop before purchase. This would seem to give me the best chance of success
Thanks for all the advice

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think based on this thread I will go for a juvenile zebra eel that is eating in the shop before purchase. This would seem to give me the best chance of success
Thanks for all the advice
How big is your tank?? The zebra is a tad on bigger side adult size wise

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I e had 2 zebras in the 300 gallon reef for years. I don’t even use lids. any other eels I’ve owned over the years would try to escape. Model reef citizens for sure they never mess with any of the fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back