Wanting to get a eel

Lukebora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering getting an eel for my 150 gallon reef tank. Anyone have any suggestions on eels that are reef safe and not hostile or able to keep non hostile against other tank mates?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any eel is truly reef safe because if they want to they can eat anything they can catch. There are definitely some safe-ER options, but none truly reef safe that I've heard of. Snowflake eels I've seen some folks pull off. Also keep in mind you'll need a secure and tightly fitting cover.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By all accounts that I've heard, the pebble-toothed species are generally the safest, with the zebra moray (despite its size) being the safest of them from what I've heard.

Chainlink, Skeletor, Banded, and Snowflake are all pebbletooths too - Snowflake is by far the most common that I've seen, but there are reports of them occasionally going on feeding frenzies and eating tankmates; I don't know if the others would be safer or not (since they're less common, there aren't as many data points to work with).

That said, all pebble-tooths are invert-eaters, so while they're safe with fish, they may not be with any inverts you want to keep.

Fang-toothed species are the fish-eaters, and to my understanding need large tankmates that can handle themselves.

Regardless, I'd really suggest looking through some of lion king's threads (like those below) on eels and predator nutrition here on R2R to get an idea of proper care for long-term health:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ribbon ideal but need GOOD water quality, snowflake, Zebra moray ,golden dwarf moray and stunning japanese dragon eel. Realize that most eels are messy housekeepers and will cause ammonia and other nitrogen byproducts tend to generate and have affecy on water quality and ironic is that they are sensitive to ammonia and nitrate at increased levels

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snowflake eel has been in my reef tank for about four years now. It has been a model citizen all this time. However it will eat any crabs it finds. However he hasn’t bothered any fish. In fact my fish bully him from time to time. My copperband even gets in on the bullying from time to time. But this is just my experience with this species of eel. I keep my eel well fed, and he knows what his feeding tong looks like. So he waits to be fed.

OP
OP
L

Lukebora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other inverts like snails, cleaner shrimp, stars, etc. if so how does it do with them?

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Mexican tubro snails in the tank. He ignores them. However I do keep him well fed. He was the diameter of a pencil when I got him. Now he’s full grown and doing well.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering getting an eel for my 150 gallon reef tank. Anyone have any suggestions on eels that are reef safe and not hostile or able to keep non hostile against other tank mates?
Ive got a jeweled moray and a snowflake moray eel!

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my eel. Shrimp, scallops, squid and octopus cut into pieces. I like to vary his diet. I also get a frozen predator mix from my lfs. It has clams fish cut fish etc that I feed as well. The eels are really fun to feed.

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my eel. Shrimp, scallops, squid and octopus cut into pieces. I like to vary his diet. I also get a frozen predator mix from my lfs. It has clams fish cut fish etc that I feed as well. The eels are really fun to feed.
I've always wanted one, but nervous about knocking or breaking corals. Do you notice them fragging corals for you?

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eel knocks over things every once in awhile. However he kinda stays in one little area of the tank. In my limited experience if they are well fed they don’t roam very much at all.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eel knocks over things every once in awhile. However he kinda stays in one little area of the tank. In my limited experience if they are well fed they don’t roam very much at all.
I have an eel that does roam a lot. Shes my snowflake, she always comes out right before lights out and swims around and goes back to her hole. My jeweled eel doesnt roam much unless he is moving to a different burrow. I found my snowflake knocked corals over a lot. I dont keep corals in with her anymore lol

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am not a big eel fan but used to have a dwarf golden moray. Awesome awesome awesome but pretty tuff to find these days.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a big eel fan but used to have a dwarf golden moray. Awesome awesome awesome but pretty tuff to find these days.
My face when someone says they are not an eel fan lol :)

Attachments

• IMG_4018.jpeg
    IMG_4018.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 20

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back