Ribbon Eel

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im considering getting a Ribbon eel, though have never kept an eel. I kept a lionfish before (it sadly went carpet surfing) though i know keeping a ribbon eel is slightly different. My biggest questions are:

1) My tank is a Red Sea 525XL, is it big enough?
2) Feeding, how often and what should I keep?
3) Current stock is, Blue throat trigger, Blue eye kole tang, pair of clownfish, and 2 bimaculatus anthias. am i gonna have issues with them and a ribbon eel

Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im considering getting a Ribbon eel, though have never kept an eel. I kept a lionfish before (it sadly went carpet surfing) though i know keeping a ribbon eel is slightly different. My biggest questions are:

1) My tank is a Red Sea 525XL, is it big enough?
2) Feeding, how often and what should I keep?
3) Current stock is, Blue throat trigger, Blue eye kole tang, pair of clownfish, and 2 bimaculatus anthias. am i gonna have issues with them and a ribbon eel

Thank you
These are one of the most gracious but also escape artists. Feed one inch strips of food opposed to chunks every 3-4 days. Most ribbons are male rather than female. They are subject to internal parasites so assure to provide good water quality and remove any uneaten food. Do not house them with fish capable of nipping with use of teeth.
Your tank size should be adequate

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most do not have success with this eel, I have some points that will give more chances of success. If you do not include live fish in their diets, don't expect them to live long. They have a tendency to be difficult to feed and if they do take dead food, it is generally short lived. They can live on a combo diet and live fish offered t least once a month seems to keep them engaged. If those are ocellaris clowns, they may end up dinner one day. This eel loves to cruise I prefer at least a 6' tank.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most do not have success with this eel, I have some points that will give more chances of success. If you do not include live fish in their diets, don't expect them to live long. They have a tendency to be difficult to feed and if they do take dead food, it is generally short lived. They can live on a combo diet and live fish offered t least once a month seems to keep them engaged. If those are ocellaris clowns, they may end up dinner one day. This eel loves to cruise I prefer at least a 6' tank.

Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back