Please tell me this isnt what i thonk it is..

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I had a post awhile back about my zoas acting weird. These are my first corals, and tank is 5 months old so, forgive the newbieness here. They just will not open up. Water is great, flow, light, all great. And then I remembered... I took this picture of something wierd on one and just forgot to ID it. Well, here goes.

It's nudi's isn't it.. ugh.. any recommendations? I don't have the ability to set up a qt tank. Dips I have on hand are Brightwell KoralMD and MediCoral. I can pick up a different dip if it will help, what are my options here if it is what I think it is?

Screenshot_20230907_134412_Gallery.jpg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, those are nudi eggs. I recommend dipping the zoas and gently scraping off any egg masses you see (dips don't kill the eggs).

What size tank do you have? Do you have sand and a lid? I could recommend some wrasses that will take care of zoa nudis depending on your tank setup.

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, those are nudi eggs. I recommend dipping the zoas and gently scraping off any egg masses you see (dips don't kill the eggs).

What size tank do you have? Do you have sand and a lid? I could recommend some wrasses that will take care of zoa nudis depending on your tank setup.
It's a 14 gallon IM Nuvo. I do have sand, about 3/4 to an inch in some places, and I do have a mesh lid. Inhabitants are two mocha clowns, conch, fire shrimp, and small maxima clam, with a litter of hermits and snails. Regrettably with it being a small tank I don't know that a wrasse option is viable, much as I would like it to be.

I do have other corals, mostly a bunch of rhodactus shrooms and a cabbage coral on the rack with the zoas. Others corals include cristata torches, hammers, and an octo but those are on racks on opposite walls if that matters.

Man I really hope I don't lose these zoas. They've been looking real sad lately.

Attachments

• 20230907_143548.jpg
    20230907_143548.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 36

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 14 gallon IM Nuvo. I do have sand, about 3/4 to an inch in some places, and I do have a mesh lid. Inhabitants are two mocha clowns, conch, fire shrimp, and small maxima clam, with a litter of hermits and snails. Regrettably with it being a small tank I don't know that a wrasse option is viable, much as I would like it to be.

I do have other corals, mostly a bunch of rhodactus shrooms and a cabbage coral on the rack with the zoas. Others corals include cristata torches, hammers, and an octo but those are on racks on opposite walls if that matters.

Man I really hope I don't lose these zoas. They've been looking real sad lately.
A possum wrasse or a pink streaked wrasse are options for you. I keep a pink streaked wrasse in my 20g frag tank she keeps it coral pest-free. Some folks may recommend a six line wrasse, but I do not because they are very territorial and can be terrors to other fish in small tanks.

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A possum wrasse or a pink streaked wrasse are options for you. I keep a pink streaked wrasse in my 20g frag tank she keeps it coral pest-free. Some folks may recommend a six line wrasse, but I do not because they are very territorial and can be terrors to other fish in small tanks.
I was also recommended a yellow coris wrasse, or a female Melanurus Wrasse for my tank size. Whatever it is it needs to be clam and Nem friendly, and no beat up or get beat on by my mocha clowns in the size tank I have. I am new to the hobby, and have no experience outside of the animals I currently have.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also recommended a yellow coris wrasse, or a female Melanurus Wrasse for my tank size. Whatever it is it needs to be clam and Nem friendly, and no beat up or get beat on by my mocha clowns in the size tank I have. I am new to the hobby, and have no experience outside of the animals I currently have.
Yellow coris and melanurus are too big and active for a 14g. The two wrasses I suggested can be housed in a tank of your size. Of the two, a possum wrasse is easier to find and can handle breeding clowns better.

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow coris and melanurus are too big and active for a 14g. The two wrasses I suggested can be housed in a tank of your size. Of the two, a possum wrasse is easier to find and can handle breeding clowns better.
Yeah, doing research I've noticed they get quite large. Now to find a place that sells possums or pink lines. I'm going to continue dipping the corals every 3 to 4 days as well in brightwell KoralMD (similar to coralrx I believe)

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I don't think it's Nudi's. unless i'm just completely blind. In the week and a half the zoas have been like this, I've never visually confirmed a Nudi. I only saw that spiral come in a little more than 3 weeks ago, and it vanished after a week and i never thought anything of it.

after work today I pulled all 4 zoa frags and did a 5 minute dip in RO/DI water. Nothing came off. I also visually inspected and looked between each polyp and saw nothing either. the only thing i can think maybe is a couple of stems have some thin hard algar growing on them, but not every frag, and not every stem/polyp.

Any other theories as to why these guys have closed up and been weepy?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back