Please Verify My Results for Stock Nitrate & Phosphate Solutions

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently battling Ostreopsis while progressing through a fallow period. Therefore, my system is not being fed due to the lack of fish. I need to elevate my nitrates and phosphates, so I would like to dose sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate. With help from a few posts by @Randy Holmes-Farley and this calculator, I arrived at the following results, which are calculated based upon my system's total volume of 100gal.

Sodium Nitrate
  1. Add 226g of sodium nitrate in 1gal RO/DI water
  2. Add 10.3mL solution per 100gal aquarium water to boost nitrate by 1ppm

Trisodium Phosphate
  1. Add 226g trisodium phosphate to 1gal RO/DI water
  2. Add 0.45mL solution per 100gal aquarium water to boost phosphate by 0.05ppm

I realize that dosages will likely need to be adjusted based upon consumption rates within my system, but the results above should give me a good start, if they are not incorrect. Chemistry and math were my least favorite subjects in school, and it's becoming more apparent as I age.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

BUMP :cool:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those initial values look fine. Just make sure to slowly increase them past that. You may have to get levels slightly higher to encourage *some* algae growth but not too much to combat the dino. You could go faster or slower depending on where your ostreo is at.

Also, ostreo seems to be one of the more susceptible dino types to uv sterilization. I had ostreo twice and my uv did some major work both times.

I'd consider adding a cheaper one as you really need to combat dino from all angles.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, to avoid confusion, it may be best to just use neophos and neonitrate. Randy has excellent hacks to save a lot of money but if you're concerned with the calculations, sometimes it pays to go with solutions that are idiot proof.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those initial values look fine. Just make sure to slowly increase them past that. You may have to get levels slightly higher to encourage *some* algae growth but not too much to combat the dino. You could go faster or slower depending on where your ostreo is at.

Also, ostreo seems to be one of the more susceptible dino types to uv sterilization. I had ostreo twice and my uv did some major work both times.

I'd consider adding a cheaper one as you really need to combat dino from all angles.
Thanks for your assistance; it's greatly appreciated!

I added a 57-watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV sterilizer two days ago, and nearly every sign of dinoflagellates has been eliminated. I will continue the use of it, indefinitely, and dose to increase nitrates and phosphates in the meantime.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your assistance; it's greatly appreciated!

I added a 57-watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV sterilizer two days ago, and nearly every sign of dinoflagellates has been eliminated. I will continue the use of it, indefinitely, and dose to increase nitrates and phosphates in the meantime.

I've kept mine running as well. I know most tend to turn theirs off once the dino is eliminated but it keeps the water clean and is always just a nice preventative measure.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, to avoid confusion, it may be best to just use neophos and neonitrate. Randy has excellent hacks to save a lot of money but if you're concerned with the calculations, sometimes it pays to go with solutions that are idiot proof.
I do have those products, and I am getting to the end of them, but I don't like the cost of them, which is the only reason that I want to make stock solutions of both. I thought about trying ESV's nitrate solution, but I was able to purchase enough sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate to make more than a gallon of each at half the cost of one gallon of ESV nitrate. Since this battle has gotten to be more expensive in an already-expensive hobby, I figured a little DIY would help keep my wife from resenting my aquarium as she's already not happy about the purchase of the UV sterilizer.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have those products, and I am getting to the end of them, but I don't like the cost of them, which is the only reason that I want to make stock solutions of both. I thought about trying ESV's nitrate solution, but I was able to purchase enough sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate to make more than a gallon of each at half the cost of one gallon of ESV nitrate. Since this battle has gotten to be more expensive in an already-expensive hobby, I figured a little DIY would help keep my wife from resenting my aquarium as she's already not happy about the purchase of the UV sterilizer.

Looks like you're all set. If the ostreo has started to disappear, then just keep doing what you're doing. If not, then you'll have to tack on additional battle strategies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back