OP
OP
O

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go buy all the LIVE rock you need now from your lfs and put it in a Brute with a heater and circulation pump. You want 1 month in this Brute to kill off all the anemones, pests and such. After a month, put it in your new tank and add 3 fish. Take half the coral and cut the plugs off and gove it an H2O2 bath. Research how to do this. Glue it on new plugs or pieces of rock and add it to the tank. Measure your Phosphates and Nitrates weekly and keep them high. You may need to dose to keep them high dependant on whatever the LFS tank breakdown rock is at. Look for porous rock and not that cement crap. After 2 weeks, add the other 2 fish and do the same procedure with the remaining coral. You have about a 10% chance to not carry those dinos over. You are going to need quite a bit of rock too. You want to transfer the least amount as possible out of that mess you got yourself in to. You are going to want to quarantine those fish as well. Don't add anything else to the tank until your parameters stabilize. Once you figure out how to get your Phosphates and Nitrates where you want them, you want to keep them there with weekly tests for 6 weeks. If they swing, you are not ready. This again will depend on the rock that you choose. Another option for rock is Facebook marketplace and someone that breaks down a tank. If you get it all from the same tank it will more than likely be stable. LFS has rocks from many tanks so it's probably not going to be stable.

This is called a skip cycle. You might just make it out of this... make sure you have a skimmer. A skimmer is all you need. Don't EVER dose nopox, use GFO, chaeto, or algae scrubbers or you will be staring at what you are now.
Question would this be the same method if I decided to go with dry rock ?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back