Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The heaviest matting (which I'm fairly certain is cyano) is happening in a low flow area. But there is a red-brown hue covering my sand in many areas. I'm concerned because several hermit crabs are acting weird- alive, but in a stupor. Moving very slowly, like they are drugged. Parameters aren't showing anything obvious. Phosphates are not measuring, nitrates are at 5ppm. Other than moving some rocks and trying to fiddle with my flow pattern, I haven't done anything to treat yet. Any thoughts? Is thus just cyano? Thanks.

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda' looks like either DINO's or Cyano...
Here's what I would try:
1: manually remove as much of the algae as you can with a small syphon and then see how long it takes for it to grow back.
2: increase your water flow and see if that helps decrease the algae.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The heaviest matting (which I'm fairly certain is cyano) is happening in a low flow area. But there is a red-brown hue covering my sand in many areas. I'm concerned because several hermit crabs are acting weird- alive, but in a stupor. Moving very slowly, like they are drugged. Parameters aren't showing anything obvious. Phosphates are not measuring, nitrates are at 5ppm. Other than moving some rocks and trying to fiddle with my flow pattern, I haven't done anything to treat yet. Any thoughts? Is thus just cyano? Thanks.
The abnormal behavior of the CUC may be from a buildup of hydrogen sulfide

OP
OP
Jahalu

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Here's a fts. I have an mp40 on right side of photo. The drilled return is on the left. I keep the vortech on reef crest at about 60%. I was thinking about moving the vortech to the right side wall to help with flow. Some additional info:
I regularly vacuum the sand bed. The cyano seemed to intensify after I replaced my mag7 with an eheim compact 3000. I don't use a heater on my tank- temp ranges from 77-80. Not sure if the temp fluctuation can affect this. Tank ran a little warmer with the mag 7. I appreciate all the input everyone.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back