Daeron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to the following
IMG_4614.JPG

What could that be? I know that the peppermint shrimp have been pestering it, but didn't think they would do any damage...

And as an aside, the PLTA will never settle down...it seems now to just settle, so it just kinda lays in that spot on its side.

OP
OP
Daeron

Daeron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe an 1 - 1.5 inches deep...I've tried creating a "hole" down to almost the glass bottom and it wasn't happy with that

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if that's the issue, but that's an issue. Your sand bed should be 2-3x deeper than that. That's likely why the LTA's foot is exposed and it's never settled down.

Maybe it's just the picture, but the anemone's translucency also seems to suggest it's bleached.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints are extremely opportunistic and will not hesitate to flip an anemone over and go for its foot
I've lost some beautiful Rock nems to a rogue shrimp before:(

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a pump incident to me too. LTA need a really deep sand bed, as in, 4-6" may be good enough. If yours recovers from this, it will be the first one I've seen recover from a torn foot. Typically, any thread I've read, and personal experience, once the foot is torn, it's a death sentence. Sorry to be a bummer. I hope yours defy the odds. Don't give up, just wanted to tell you what I've experienced and read. I'm not familiar with this, but maybe look into an iodine dip for it too? Be careful, iodine and messing with it can set it back even further. Maybe leave it, but leaving it may just watch it wither away too, I don't know. Just a thought. Research it before you decide. Best of luck to you.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also at a minimum, I'd pull it and put it into a quarantine tank. Also, the quality of your quarantine tank matters, big time.

OP
OP
Daeron

Daeron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt it was the pump, considering my pump is pretty low powered in the first place. I went ahead and took him back to the LFS. They think he'll be ok.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back