Plumbing advice / fix / no syphon problem

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i fixed a few things still don’t have a full syphon the over flow box isn’t getting enough water to hold a full syphon
I bought the tank built this way it’s also my first tank so kinda clueless

08F6C9FC-5A9B-4B06-AEAB-0F46965813A5.jpeg 7804FB03-16DF-42C5-9AAC-48DB2DEEAADA.jpeg 27752DD9-EA75-4D56-93AD-659CA8CE19C6.jpeg 7459C0FB-5517-40C4-9CCE-C0D352664043.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4852.MOV
    19.9 MB
  • IMG_4849.MOV
    15.5 MB
OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of putting a 90 elbo facing down from the drain bulkhead to the bottom of the flow box problem is there’s only about an inch of space from the bulkhead to the bottom of the flowbox

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that what you have is a bean animal overflow....but it doesn't look complete. I really don't know the setup, so let's see if we can get more eyes on this #reefsquad

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you throttling the valve in the siphon line to restrict the flow? Both valves appear to be wide open. That is the first step.
Well i gotta cut the ball valve out tomorrow s gate valve comes in I’ll be adding that onto the “ suppose to be syphon “ line so i can control alittle little my problem is the top portion not sure what i have to do there people tell me been animal but if i look into bean animal you need 1 drain 3 inches down and the second drain 2 inch down i don’t have that room in the flow box

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that what you have is a bean animal overflow....but it doesn't look complete. I really don't know the setup, so let's see if we can get more eyes on this #reefsquad
Yah i looked into that build but it appears that one drain is higher then the other in case the flow box doesn’t have that depth

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have room to put a 90 degree elbow pointed down on the full siphon line. That would create the three elevations you are looking for. Ideally, you would have another elbow on the normal overflow as well pointing up but with the top below the emergency overflow. This would minimize the water fall inside the box.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have room to put a 90 degree elbow pointed down on the full siphon line. That would create the three elevations you are looking for. Ideally, you would have another elbow on the normal overflow as well pointing up but with the top below the emergency overflow. This would minimize the water fall inside the box.
Yes i can add a elbo on the left drain “ full syphon “ and i have a elbo on the right one which is the emergency pointed up if it the box over flows the middle drain i can add an elbo ss well but that would be the same as thd left drain

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water fall into the overflow box is acceptable, then you can leave the normal overflow as is. If you would like a higher level, you might be able to still add an elbow and angle it to one side to lower the level below the emergency.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water fall into the overflow box is acceptable, then you can leave the normal overflow as is. If you would like a higher level, you might be able to still add an elbow and angle it to one side to lower the level below the emergency.
Well i cut the elbos alittle made one longer then the other about an inch difference i have a syphon going

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not going to get a full siphon when the drain is open to the air.

1627157237604.png
So i should cap that one and add the gate valve yah? The middle is the second drain i was told to cap it too and drill a small hole to limit the noise

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
In the bean animal design he put a hose in the secondary and had it in the overflow so if the primary quit and the water level in the overflow went up it would cover the end of the hose and the secondary would be converted to a full siphon.

Back