Plumbing advice for return pump

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finally trying to finish my plumbing and the return pump is not ideal.

This is the setup currently
C764455C-374B-4406-A5E9-58287B4D6EB1.jpeg

I will remove the union right at the sump as there isn’t quite enough clearance for it, so I’ll just have the upper union. The problem is that I have to be very, very precise on the length of the horizontal piece on the right. What’s the best way to get the length correct? I’ve found that once I glue the pipes together, they fit into the joints deeper than when dry fit. With the spacing of the drains, there isn’t really room to move the sump more than a millimeter or two. I’m sure there’s some trick professionals use - can anyone help?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" flex PVC for the win right there.

So far as the length is concerned, You know your seating depth on the fitting. Make a sharpie mark on your pipe before you start fitting them together with glue to ensure you seat it all the way down. Take one measurement at a time. If you cut and glue three pieces at the same time, cumulative error may bite you in the face.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure the distance between the elbows then add the depth of the fittings.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" flex PVC for the win right there.

So far as the length is concerned, You know your seating depth on the fitting. Make a sharpie mark on your pipe before you start fitting them together with glue to ensure you seat it all the way down. Take one measurement at a time. If you cut and glue three pieces at the same time, cumulative error may bite you in the face.
Yes, that’s the issue. I am trying to minimize what I have to glue in place.

I can’t find any flexible pvc locally and I think the ID is different which could be an issue? Or is that not correct?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s the issue. I am trying to minimize what I have to glue in place.

I can’t find any flexible pvc locally and I think the ID is different which could be an issue? Or is that not correct?
On the return line and everything should be glued in place.

You Should be able to order a few feet length of flex PVC. Outside diameter should be the same as schedule 40/80.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the return line and everything should be glued in place.

You Should be able to order a few feet length of flex PVC. Outside diameter should be the same as schedule 40/80.
I meant I was trying to glue larger sections outside of the stand and then just do the final connections to the sump inside the stand itself. But that means you have to be perfect, which I most definitely am not!

Do you know off hand how different the inner diameter is? I don’t want to constrict the return more than it is already - I have 1” drains and a 3/4” return.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean looking work!
Thanks. I’ve never done PVC work before. My current tank is an AIO and the tanks I had years ago were all flex tubing from the bulkheads. Honestly, I kind of miss the days of reckless abandon using flex tubing!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant I was trying to glue larger sections outside of the stand and then just do the final connections to the sump inside the stand itself. But that means you have to be perfect, which I most definitely am not!

Do you know off hand how different the inner diameter is? I don’t want to constrict the return more than it is already - I have 1” drains and a 3/4” return.
Any way you can bump up the return? With the bean animal at 1", You are severely restricting your flow-ability using a 3/4-in hose from the pump.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way you can bump up the return? With the bean animal at 1", You are severely restricting your flow-ability using a 3/4-in hose from the pump.
No. They messed up the tank setup in multiple ways. That was one of them. It's not a huge tank (60ish gallons display) so the flow rate should still be OK.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pvc fittings usually allow for 3/4 “ of the pipe to fit inside when gluing so take your measurement the way it sits and add 1.5 “ to account for both sides. To double check your measurements in the fitting just take a smaller pipe insert until it his the stop mark with a sharpie and measure it. This will give you exactly what you need

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think I’ve got it done! I did end up having room for the second union too which is SUPER handy. All I need to do now is install the lock line return, the return pump, and leak test. I’m dreading that because frankly, if it leaks, I’m hosed lol.

F642D5D1-6F68-499D-9410-16AB7ABB83C9.jpeg

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think I’ve got it done! I did end up having room for the second union too which is SUPER handy. All I need to do now is install the lock line return, the return pump, and leak test. I’m dreading that because frankly, if it leaks, I’m hosed lol.

F642D5D1-6F68-499D-9410-16AB7ABB83C9.jpeg
If it’s glued it will not leak. Looks really
good!

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about the bulkheads. I have never had one leak and if it does chances are you didn’t tighten the coupling enough or the rubber o-ring is missing.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 25.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 55 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back