Plumbing External Skimmer Output

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Skimz Monzter SM252 External Protein Skimmer.

I want to modify a 60 gallon tank to use as a sump (hard to find sumps in the size that I want). But, given the height of a 60 gallon tank, it will end up being taller than the output of the protein skimmer. So, it seems that my options are:
  1. Plumb the output to go over the top of the tank, necessitating the output initially flowing up.
  2. Drill a hole through the side of the 60 (somewhat scary...) and plumb through it with a bulkhead. But this seems that there would be a bit of backpressure due to the sump water level being higher than the output.
  3. Something else that I haven't thought of.
My ideal solution is option 1. Is that reasonable, or is it going to cause problems? How would people suggest that I deal with this problem?

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can raise the external skimmer off the ground to a height where you don't need to extend the output

OP
OP
Graz

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can raise the external skimmer off the ground to a height where you don't need to extend the output
I don't believe that I will be able to do that with the height that the stand will be. I will have ~30" beneath the stand. A 60 gallon is 24" tall. I will have to take a tape measure to the skimmer, but the total skimmer height is just under 24".

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing to do is drill the tank.. I can't speak for that skimmer but not sure if the head pressure of a few more inches might effect how the skimmer works. I guess you can test it out but it would suck to drain your sump and then drill

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back