Plumbing for a UV Sterilizer

pryan1008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was hoping to get opinions on plumbing a UV Sterilizer into my system. I just noticed I am starting to get dinos and figured a UV was a good option to help fight them. The problem I'm having is the flow rate required for the UV sterilizers. I have a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 long sump. I just want to find the best way to plumb the UV. I just did the math timing how log it takes to fill a gallon jug off my return and my return pump set to max is running at 225gph.

I am looking at a 15 watt sterilizer that calls for 233gph. As far as I can tell my only option is to plumb directly into my return. If I use a second pump and pull from and dump back into the sump I will just be recycling already sterilized water and if I use a second pump to go from sump to display I will be doubling the flow through my sump which I don't want to do. I do have an extra port on my manifold but I don't think I can use it given the flow rates that I have/ what is required for the UV.

Also once I add the fittings and everything I will need to plumb the UV the head pressure of my return will probably go up, slowing the flow through my return to less than what is recommended for the UV. Do you think I will need to replace my return pump? I am really hoping not to.

UV I am looking at - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/15-watt-classic-uv-sterilizer-black-body-aqua-ultraviolet.html

IMG_20200910_164408.jpg

IMG_20200910_164434.jpg

Last edited:

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you are getting flow through the UV then your good, like if your getting 100gph instead of 200gph, it will actually be more effective as it will have a longer contact time. I would also verify you have dinos and if so then make a decision to buy a UV if not then you save yourself some money.

OP
OP
P

pryan1008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you are getting flow through the UV then your good, like if your getting 100gph instead of 200gph, it will actually be more effective as it will have a longer contact time. I would also verify you have dinos and if so then make a decision to buy a UV if not then you save yourself some money.

Thanks for the answer! I guess I am over thinking it. I knew i could go with a lower flow rate but I was thinking of tank turnover through the UV. If i lower the flow rate I get more contact time in the UV but less turnover but since the unit I'm looking at is oversized for my tank it's probably still fine.

Also I'm fairly positive it's dinos and kind of wanted a UV either way. I actually plumbed the extra port on my manifold so I could add one later.

Here Is a pic of the dinos on my sand bed. Its not too bad right now but I want to do whatever I can before it gets too bad. I had dinos on my last tank and they are not easy to deal with.
IMG_20200910_164544.jpg

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't you pull the water from the first section of your pump and return it to the last section where the return pump is? That's what I am planning to do. Will this not work efficiently?

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't you pull the water from the first section of your pump and return it to the last section where the return pump is? That's what I am planning to do. Will this not work efficiently?
First section of sump

OP
OP
P

pryan1008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think this should work in theory. You would need to make sure the flow through your UV is less than what your return pump is. I tested this with an extra pump I have lying around and I was pulling water from the first section of my sump faster than my overflow was filling the first section. Also this would reduce whatever flow you have in the middle sections of your sump since the water is basically just skipping over those areas.

In my case I don't think it will work for me since the flow I want through my UV is almost equal to my return. the water in my refugim will have no flow.

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pushing about 1200 gph through my sump and was planning a 700gph through the uv, theoretical leaving about 500gph to travel through the skimmer section of my sump. My thoughts was that slower flow through that section mi.ake my skimmer more efficient, thoughts?

OP
OP
P

pryan1008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes perfect sense to me. From what i understand the slower flow should help the skimmer and you would be using the uv efficiently not just recycling already sterilized water.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back