Plumbing Help Pretty Please

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 80 gallon is nearly here and I am trying to nail down an order for plumbing, but I need advice on how best to configure these pieces of equipment as all have different size pipes.

I will be using a 16" synergy overflow that apparently has 1.5" drains into an Eshopps alpha 100 sump that uses two 1" bulkheads. My return is a 2000gph vectra m2 that uses a 1" out. My return holes are drilled for 1/2" in the tank.

I would also like to incorporate a small manifold if possible for two valves.

My question is how and where do I best go from 1" to a 1/2" on the returns? After the manifold, etc. or near the pump? Do I use a coupler to reduce?

Same for the drains. How do I best reduce from 1.5 to 1"? Coupler?

Also, i plan on using a short piece of silicon tubing to reduce vibration on the return pump. Do i not need to use a clamp or zip tie for that?

Lastly, the Eshopps sump comes with two flexible 1" drain hoses which i assume I should use because it seems much easier than trying to hard plumb into a bulkead like that in the sump.

Thank you in advance!!!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. You may be an addicted reefer if you “smell your tank”.

Start with a trip to Home Depot plumbing department. I suggest installing reducing bushings at the source. I also suggest a pvc compression coupling on each line.

Yes to using flexible hose and plastic fittings with barbed end connection. For insurance, install 100% stainless steel hose clamp.

I suspect that two 1/2” return lines will restrict 2000 GPH pump.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 inch plumbing after the pump and silicone tubing.

My question is how and where do I best go from 1" to a 1/2" on the returns? After the manifold, etc. or near the pump? Do I use a coupler to reduce?

Reduce as close as you can to the entrance to the tank. NOT AT THE PUMP. Use a 1" PVC Union and a reducer bushing from 1" to 1/2".

Similar to the return, right at the box. However I would use a reducer bushing right in the bullhead and 1" union after that.

Also, i plan on using a short piece of silicon tubing to reduce vibration on the return pump. Do i not need to use a clamp or zip tie for that?

Use a plastic ratchet clamp, no "Stainless steel clamps" they all will rust eventually.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 80 gallon is nearly here and I am trying to nail down an order for plumbing, but I need advice on how best to configure these pieces of equipment as all have different size pipes.

I will be using a 16" synergy overflow that apparently has 1.5" drains into an Eshopps alpha 100 sump that uses two 1" bulkheads. My return is a 2000gph vectra m2 that uses a 1" out. My return holes are drilled for 1/2" in the tank.

My question is how and where do I best go from 1" to a 1/2" on the returns? After the manifold, etc. or near the pump? Do I use a coupler to reduce? I would reduce after the manifold. I would use a reducing bushing. Or sometimes you can find a T that will reduce

Same for the drains. How do I best reduce from 1.5 to 1"? Coupler? i would use a reducing bushing. Does the tank have two drains or 1. If 1 I would keep the 1.5 until after you split into the two drains for the sump.

Also, i plan on using a short piece of silicon tubing to reduce vibration on the return pump. Do i not need to use a clamp or zip tie for that? plastic clamp for that.

Lastly, the Eshopps sump comes with two flexible 1" drain hoses which i assume I should use because it seems much easier than trying to hard plumb into a bulkead like that in the sump. agree with that

Thank you in advance!!!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i ran into same issue with the synergy.

Keep in mind the 3 pipes coming out recieve a 1.5" pvc pipe first then you can add the reducing fitting.
If you measure right, you can get the 1.5" x 1" reducing fittings flush with the box's built in fittings.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Start with a trip to Home Depot plumbing department. I suggest installing reducing bushings at the source. I also suggest a pvc compression coupling on each line.

Yes to using flexible hose and plastic fittings with barbed end connection. For insurance, install 100% stainless steel hose clamp.

I have to disagree with much of what #Subsea said. In general, anytime you are reducing pipe size for your returns, it is best to do so as close as possible to the outlets as you can. I would run the larger 1" pipe as far as I could before splitting for the returns. When you split the flow, reduce the pipes to the 1/2" size to your outlets.

Also, please, please, please DO NOT use metal hose clamps. Get some plastic hose clamps.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the 3 pipes coming out recieve a 1.5" pvc pipe first then you can add the reducing fitting.

With slip to slip bulkheads you can use a reducing bushing right inside the bulkhead itself and insert the 1" plumbing directly into the bulkhead :) I would then use a short piece of 1" and connect it to a union fitting and carry on from there.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With slip to slip bulkheads you can use a reducing bushing right inside the bulkhead itself and insert the 1" plumbing directly into the bulkhead :) I would then use a short piece of 1" and connect it to a union fitting and carry on from there.
Yes those spigot bushings work well too.
Good point :)
But i already bought the bell reducers!!!!
Lol.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all your questions can easily be resolved by watching the brs plumbing video.
that being said, barbed fitting and the proper adhesive. no clamps or tie wraps.
also, if i have this right, eshopps set you up with 2 flexible hoses and you're hoping to add a silicone section to reduce vibration?
if so, no. you can go straight from the bulkhead to the pump with the flex hoses which will have the same effect silicone will. adding a silicone section is for people that are using rigid pipe and to a lesser extent ac pumps.

OP
OP
zukihara

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you. I will certainly take your advice.

The vectra m2 is a bit overkill for what I'm doing so I realize that 1/2" will reduce flow, but I'm kinda stuck with it now. The sump will only handle about 795 mph anyway though.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that being said, barbed fitting and the proper adhesive
You're saying glue silicone to a PVC barbed fitting? Please tell me what glue will do that?

Edit: I just saw the tail end of the OP, all makes sense now lol

OP
OP
zukihara

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all your questions can easily be resolved by watching the brs plumbing video.
that being said, barbed fitting and the proper adhesive. no clamps or tie wraps.
also, if i have this right, eshopps set you up with 2 flexible hoses and you're hoping to add a silicone section to reduce vibration?
if so, no. you can go straight from the bulkhead to the pump with the flex hoses which will have the same effect silicone will. adding a silicone section is for people that are using rigid pipe and to a lesser extent ac pumps.
I will watch the BRS plumbing video for sure.

The flexible hose for the Eshopps sump is for 2 drain lines. As I understand it, the silicon would be a short piece for the return.

OP
OP
zukihara

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 inch plumbing after the pump and silicone tubing.

Reduce as close as you can to the entrance to the tank. NOT AT THE PUMP. Use a 1" PVC Union and a reducer bushing from 1" to 1/2".

Similar to the return, right at the box. However I would use a reducer bushing right in the bullhead and 1" union after that.

Use a plastic ratchet clamp, no "Stainless steel clamps" they all will rust eventually.

Josh,

My confusion on this was because those clamps say they are for braided line which is out of stock. I was not sure if they were appropriate for the silicone.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh,

My confusion on this was because those clamps say they are for braided line which is out of stock. I was not sure if they were appropriate for the silicone.

Really for any "Soft" plumbing aside from flex PVC just typically used on vinyl that's all.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back