Plumbing Help - Red Sea Reefer

lexrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving,

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my dream tank, a RSR 625 G2, and expect it to arrive within the week. I bought an Octo Varios 6 DC return pump to go along with it. I don’t know much about plumbing so was hoping someone could help me figure out what else I need to be able to connect my pump to the tanks plumbing. I don’t know what size fittings the tank has but the return pump is 1 1/4”. I assume I will need some flexible tubing but what size and do I need any adapters to switch sizes?

Thank you all in advance!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not sure how much help this is, but my 525 has fittings for 3/4” -1” tubing. My larger tanks have fittings that fit 1” - 1 1/4” tubing. Cut the lower section off to fit the larger diameter tubing. So fairly sure 1” will work for sure, but you might be able to go with 1 1/4”. You will want flex tubing and vinyl hose clamps. If you have a lfs that Carrie’s them not a problem. Otherwise get them ordered on line in both sizes so you don’t have to use metal hose clamps.

Tubing should be available at Menards, lowes or Home Depot.

OP
OP
L

lexrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That does help. Did your Red Sea tank have a union fitting? The Octo varios has a 1-1/4” union fitting that can be used to hard plumb it into the tank. If not, did you need a barbed fitting to use for the flex tubing

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That does help. Did your Red Sea tank have a union fitting? The Octo varios has a 1-1/4” union fitting that can be used to hard plumb it into the tank. If not, did you need a barbed fitting to use for the flex tubing
I have a 525XL as well with a varios 8 as the return pump. I reduced the 1 1/4 union fitting to 1 inch because I was about to find a pvc slip to barb fitting. I then connected to the red sea barbed fitting with 1" i.d. braided vinyl tubing.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The 525 has a barbed fitting that is either 3/4 or 1” have to trip the fitting shorter for 1”. Does you pump have more than one option? If so I would plan on going with 1”.

However I don’t know how the 625 comes. It will either be 3/4”-1” or 1” to 1 1/4”. I would run largest option available. If pump only has 1 1/4” be prepared to reduce to 1” if that is the largest that the 625 has.

The red seas come with everything you need, except the hose, clamps and pump. It has what you need for connecting hose to their returns.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back