Plumbing question - ball vs gate valve

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new setup has a single drain and single return and I'm wondering about what type of valves I should use. I bought 2 ball valves with unions to start with, but I'm wondering if I should use a gate valve for the drain. My return pump has a controller, so I'm not worried about that side. Thoughts?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a single drain you don't need any kind of valve to regulate it, but i'm assuming you want a valve in the event you want to remove the sump? If that's the case a union will solve that issue.

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with jaxredsoxfan, ball valves are great for on off application and gate valves are great to fine tune the flow but most of them don't close all the way so they can't be used on something that you like to close shut.

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback folks! I think I'll stick with ball valves for now. Can always swap em out later I suppose if needed

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with jaxredsoxfan, ball valves are great for on off application and gate valves are great to fine tune the flow but most of them don't close all the way so they can't be used on something that you like to close shut.
Really all my gate values can close all the way and not allow water through them.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three 4 gate valves that I bought from zoro and they have flat surface that does not go all the way, I am assuming brand and application might be the difference..

I find that interesting. I dont see what the purpose of making a valve that doesnt close all the way is. What if that one time comes around that you just need to close it? Thank you for sharing though I will remember to always check and make sure any gate valves I buy will close all the way.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back