Plumbing question - can you feed 2 pumps with one intake?

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my plumbing goes through a wall. With a Dino outbreak I need to add a UV sterilizer. How I’m currently set up and for easy access to the UV I’m contemplating to put it on the other side of wall with a dedicated pump. However, I don’t want to drill another hole into the cinderblock wall. Can you feed 2 pumps with one 1 inch intake?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a sump involved? If so, recirculate the water via a second smaller pump in the sump. All the tank water will eventually end up going through the UV.
The UV usually requires a much slower feed rate than most people use on their return line.

OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a sump involved? If so, recirculate the water via a second smaller pump in the sump. All the tank water will eventually end up going through the UV.
The UV usually requires a much slower feed rate than most people use on their return line.
Yes there is a sump but I don't want to run two additional line's through the wall. Here is a sketch of what I have in mind. The DT and Sump are on one site of the wall. My external skimmer is on the other site and is plumbed into the sump. Since the skimmer return is gravity fed I would have to have a new return line for the UV. However II want to plumb into the skimmer intake line before the skimmer pump to T off an additional pump that would feed the UV.

1586123209538.png

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it. It's never good to restrict the intake of a pump, it can lead to burning them out and maybe even overheating/fire in an external pump. Could you maybe build another sump on the back side of the cinder block wall? You wouldn't need a fancy acrylic sump, a rubbermaid tub might be all you need. Then you could feed your skimmer and UV out of that.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like 1” PVC can handle about 960 gallons per hour. So as long as the total of both pumps does not exceed that, you should be good. Otherwise, you may have to upgrade the bulkheads and pipe size. 1.5” shows it is good to 2100 GPH.
3E6FADA4-4D56-485F-951F-3A66D37804AD.jpeg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In sump pump rated just for the UV, pull from intake from tank exhaust to return pump.
Not ideal by any means but it will work slowly.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you missed the point of this suggestion. Don't run another pipe through the wall, just run the uv exit right back ti the sump in recirc you can get potentially better flow control this way anyway, with no particular downside

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. i was thinking your sump and tank were on opposite sides of the wall. i see by your sketch they are not. Apologies.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back