Plumbing question for new build.

JsReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
115A09D2-CE62-4326-B4E9-E14DCE5DE053.jpeg
So I came up with this master plan (in my mind of course lol!) for plumbing my new system. I would like to know everyone’s thoughts on the best way to bring this to life.

My idea is to run the herbie method with 1” drains. For the return line I planto have a 1” return line coming from the pump and then reducing it to a 3/4” split to a manifold and return back to the tank. What’s the best way to do this?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would not reduce it all at all. Run the 1 inch all the way to the tank on both sides and Reduce it at the tank glass itself or not at all. With water pumps reducing pipes greatly reduces your flow .
I would also NOT USE A CHECK VALVE OF ANY KIND.. I promise you will REGRET It in the future

GOOD LUCK

lock562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you planning to run off of the manifold? Water will take to path of least resistance so if nothing high flow you could branch off with a 1"x 1/2" T even and like above elimanate the check.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would not reduce it all at all. Run the 1 inch all the way to the tank on both sides and Reduce it at the tank glass itself or not at all. With water pumps reducing pipes greatly reduces your flow .
I would also NOT USE A CHECK VALVE OF ANY KIND.. I promise you will REGRET It in the future

GOOD LUCK

I like this. ^

If you have 1 inch I would run it throughout. You can use the valves to reduce flow, and you will not be limited by the 3/4 pipe if you need more. I also not big fan check valves. The type you are looking to use is one of the better, but still I would not use. Just ensure you have siphon breaks on the return and room in the sump for the drains and backflow when pump is off.

The layout looks good.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you planning to run off of the manifold? Water will take to path of least resistance so if nothing high flow you could branch off with a 1"x 1/2" T even and like above elimanate the check.

This is a good point.. You need a BALL VALVE between the Sump outputs and the main return tank line to Balance the water flow..

lock562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Globe or gate valve valves offer more control if that's what your after. Also easier on making small adjustments. Large drains and sized flow from the sump but nothing wrong with over sizing that to just alil more money.

OP
OP
JsReefs

JsReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be honest I don’t plan to run anything at the moment. I only added the manifold just Incase I need to add something in the future. I thought about a UV sterilizer but I would probably run that on it’s on pump.

lock562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2" 0.5 - 0.6"/ 0.85"od/ 7- 420/14- 840
3/4" 0.75 - 0.85"/ 1.06"od/ 11- 660/
1" 1 - 1.03"/ 1.33"od/ 16- 960/ 37- 2,200
These are ID/ gravity-low pressure gpm the gph and 20 to 100

Last edited:
OP
OP
JsReefs

JsReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GOOD LUCK

I never thought of running all 1 inch and reducing the water flow. That’s a good idea. Could you tell me what’s the downside to using a check valve. I’ve always been told that that was a safety precaution.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought of running all 1 inch and reducing the water flow. That’s a good idea. Could you tell me what’s the downside to using a check valve. I’ve always been told that that was a safety precaution.

They can, and often do fail miserably, Leading to all kinds of nastiness. If you plan your plumbing with a siphon break in your return line as close as you can to the surface of your water in the DT and ensure you have enough room in your sump for the excess water that will drain down until the siphon breaks the flow. There is absolutely no need for a check valve. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back