Plumbing question

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about re plumbing my sump from underneath the stand into a closet that is directly to the left of my tank. i have a 120gal AGA with the dual overflow with a mag 12 for return. i am wondering if i would have any issues with the water draining since it would have to go down just a little then to the left then through the hole in the wall then down into the sump. should i T the two drains into one then through the wall into the sump, or how should i do this? any suggestions would be appreciated. if any other info is needed please let me know. thanks everyone ahead of time.

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... it would have to go down just a little then to the left then through the hole in the wall then...

The quality of the information you give limits the quality of information you can recieve (or "garbage in, garbage out"). Your pump is most likely an overkill but it depends on how you define "down just a little". It also depend on the pipe size. Basically, you can do anything you put your mind to as long as you don't let anyone tell you "you can't do that".

DJ_in_WV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gravity will pull water thur anything. What size drains and how many are you talking about here. You only need 1/4in in 10foot to remove any solids from a drain line

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gravity will pull water thur anything. What size drains and how many are you talking about here. You only need 1/4in in 10foot to remove any solids from a drain line

psst 1/8" per foot not 1/4" in 10 foot

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned it as 1/4" to 1/2" per foot. It turns out that it depends on the pipe diameter. I went and did a search and found this:

(forum for building inspectors)
Inspection News, home inspection Information, inspector, radon environmental

Drainage fittings are required to be designed to maintain 1/4" per foot slope.

Drainage piping is required to have a minimum slope of 1/4" per foot for sizes 2-1/2" and smaller, and, a minimum slope of 1/8" per foot for sizes 3" and larger.

Table P3005.4.2 shows three slopes: 1/8" per foot, 1/4" per foot, and 1/2" per foot for calculating number of fixture units allowed.

The maximum slope of horizontal branch piping is 1/2" per foot.
- From the 2006 IRC.

redddogg69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to "T" or "Y" the two drains together you will have to increase the single pipe to the sump to handle the increased water volume. Example two one inch pipes will need to increase to at least an 1 1/2" or two 1 1/2" to one 2".

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't tee them personally... That's asking for trouble in every which way... For one you will have no control to balance them in the tank and if one ever clogs you no longer have a second.... Plumb them separate and it don't make a difference left or right or diagonal etc.... Hth

redddogg69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't tee them personally... That's asking for trouble in every which way... For one you will have no control to balance them in the tank and if one ever clogs you no longer have a second.... Plumb them separate and it don't make a difference left or right or diagonal etc.... Hth

Troylee is correct, the best way is to use the two lines separate of each other. If you insist on joining the two, see my previous post, that will help reduce the headaches.

OP
OP
CoralClark

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another question on this topic. would my mag12 be able to handle running the tank and also T off and run my BP reactor and carbon reactor? theres about 7ft of head from the pump to the tank. im trying to eliminate as much clutter as possible in the sump. thanks again for your help guys.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another question on this topic. would my mag12 be able to handle running the tank and also T off and run my BP reactor and carbon reactor? theres about 7ft of head from the pump to the tank. im trying to eliminate as much clutter as possible in the sump. thanks again for your help guys.

It will but in a nut shell it will kill your turn over rate... Some don't mind a slow return or sump turn over.. I like it high volume myself but it's all just preference..;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back