Plumbing question

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, going to be plumbing my first drilled tank and had a few questions.

1 - would it be easier to cut this pipe at blue base by the threaded black top or connect pipe at base? It seems like cutting off blue pipe at base of threaded black is easiest… but I’m a novice (See first 3 pics)

2 - what do I need to keep water from leaking out of the return drilled hole? I want to seal it (see 4th and 5th photo)

this is the second time I’ve ever plumbed a tank and I was able to flex tubing from base of overflow and return on the first one… I didn’t have this issue at all. Any help is greatly appreciated! 9 days!

3B287AE5-3E73-4961-95FF-F5DD085AD8F2.jpeg C70D805E-DCAB-4ECD-88A9-16CF4CDD74B7.jpeg 56EFA39E-75B5-41C3-8A36-647CEFE1E452.jpeg CFB27101-A1A4-4021-930A-BC06D35B3629.jpeg FD035A82-C2E5-4744-B1C1-A852D541A2D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be easier to answer if we knew your desire for the plumbing. It looks like you have a Bean Animal style overflow. Are you keeping it? Cutting the pipe at the threaded end would trash all those fittings. The threads are for the bulkhead nut, NOT any new fittings. If you're sealing any holes, you have two options with glass. 1) Silicone a plate over the existing hole. 2) Plug the hole with a bulkhead and a plug fitting. And I guess the third option would be to remove and replace the entire back plate of glass.

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I am trying to take that to the sump which will be beneath it

The two returns will be used for return plumbing

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, lots more information is needed here. Lets see some wider angle pics of the plumbing and the sump where you want it. Lots of people will be able to help you out much more easily.

This will be frustratingly fun though. Plumbing is one of my favorite parts of tanks.

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have more pics later this week of the sump, the return pluming to the two drilled holes I have figured out, just the bulkhead/hole I am unsure what to do with.

the three drain pipes - I was hoping to attach a barb and go with flex tubing due to being more familiar with that, but I have no idea where to start with that on these…

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have more pics later this week of the sump, the return pluming to the two drilled holes I have figured out, just the bulkhead/hole I am unsure what to do with.

the three drain pipes - I was hoping to attach a barb and go with flex tubing due to being more familiar with that, but I have no idea where to start with that on these…
With that said hopefully this can get you pointed in the right direction for what you were thinking.

Return bulkhead fittings come in lots of sizes and connections types. Here is an example of a 3/4 inch "slip x slip" bulkhead Lifeguard 3/4" slip bulkhead which is quite common.

From the photos you have already shared, it looks like you could easily cut the gray union fittings off of the blue pipes and glue on barb fittings for soft plumbing. Here is an example of a 1 inch "barbed x socket" fitting 1" barbed x socket pvc adapter used for that type of transition.

I would used reinforced flexable tubing like this 1" x 10' braided pvc tubing because it resists kicking which could cause issues on soft plumbing.

You should be able to find all of these parts at any local hardware store in your area.

Keep us posted.

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said hopefully this can get you pointed in the right direction for what you were thinking.

Return bulkhead fittings come in lots of sizes and connections types. Here is an example of a 3/4 inch "slip x slip" bulkhead Lifeguard 3/4" slip bulkhead which is quite common.

From the photos you have already shared, it looks like you could easily cut the gray union fittings off of the blue pipes and glue on barb fittings for soft plumbing. Here is an example of a 1 inch "barbed x socket" fitting 1" barbed x socket pvc adapter used for that type of transition.

I would used reinforced flexable tubing like this 1" x 10' braided pvc tubing because it resists kicking which could cause issues on soft plumbing.

You should be able to find all of these parts at any local hardware store in your area.

Keep us posted.

thank you, precisely the confirmation I was looking for. Soft plumbing is easier space wise for what I’m doing, and I believe less joints means less opportunity for failure for a newbie to plumbing.
Appreciate it

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was starting plumbing last night, got to fresh pipe just fine but noticed overflow box was loose… can shift it now…

would silicone be enough to remedy that from leaks? Can I remove the box on the back and just plumb directly from the bulkhead?

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could remove the overflow box. But ask your self how you will feel about the gurgling sounds that it could make. That bean animal set up is the quietest setup you can get. If it was my decision I would plumb from the box. Your issue with it being loose could be from the bulkheads in the drilled holes in tank. If keeping box now would be a good time to check those gaskets between the bulkheads and glass. Not sure if this is a pre used setup. Could just need to be tighten.

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Pre-used setup, I’ll look into tightening

these are the bulkheads that are slightly loose. I’ll tighten and then use silicone for sanity

image.jpg

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On used setups I go through the whole thing. Lots of times with just a toothbrush to get into all the nooks and crannies. You don't want to introduce anything from previous build or owner. Could be headaches later

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, finishing that up tonight. I let it sit dry for about 2 months.

that’s residue from a vinegar bath

appreciate that tip too btw, definitely helpful

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CC32CCC4-9E3D-4BA6-9F21-B62042BDBC92.png

This is what the overflow box plumbing looks like, don’t think it is a true bean overflow

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never want to use silicone on a bulkhead. This thread was incredibly helpful when I plumbed my first sump a few months ago (see my build thread if you want to see my process).

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never want to use silicone on a bulkhead. This thread was incredibly helpful when I plumbed my first sump a few months ago (see my build thread if you want to see my process).

I was going to run a bead around the edge after it was set in place as additional precaution but will avoid that now. Thank you. I’m definitely going to browse your build too

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to run a bead around the edge after it was set in place as additional precaution but will avoid that now. Thank you. I’m definitely going to browse your build too
Honestly, you could keep the box and just get new bulkheads. They're super cheap, come with new gaskets and would at least let you use the existing box/overflow. I think I bought a 5 pack for like $10 on Amazon. BRS sells them too for relatively inexpensive. If it were me.............new bulkheads in both the side of the tank and in the bottom of the overflow. Then, obviously, plumbed however you want from the overflow to the sump. You would save the existing overflow but the new bulkheads would provide you piece of mind knowing you put new stuff in place.

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept the box and replaced bulkheads, was just easier to show style using that stock photo versus climbing back up and getting shot of overflow lol

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

from reading that, I don’t need to screw anything onto the thread of the bulkhead (external threads) do I? Not even a union?

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slip x slip bulkhead…

do I need to glue a piece of pvc into the bulkhead for the slip barb for flex tubing?
I was going to use a 4” piece of pvc, then add an elbow joint, another 4” piece, then barb.

also, I’m using one varios 8 for now for a return.

1.25” output, going to T that into two return lines of .75”… I have another pump on order but not sure if that’s overkill or not. Not using the return from sump for much flow addition, rock scape and water pumps will be relied on for that. Just want about 1800-2200 gph from sump to DT

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back