Plumbing schematic and return pump advice

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up a new 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. I’d like to plumb a manifold in the return line so I can run 1-2 reactors in the event of an emergency (carbon, GFO, UV, etc). The tank has a 1” drain and a 3/4” return. Here’s my schematic. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also would need to know how large of a pump id want to run. I drew it up with a few gate valves to fine tune flow to the reactors and to also put some back pressure on the return line itself... thanks!

30012E58-A875-439A-9E16-0148DF0E624C.jpeg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much of this depends on what you're keeping in the tank and what kind of reactors you have.
As far as pump size, that will depend on how much head pressure you have, as well as what turnover rate you want.

With the reactors, I just run mine in/out of my sump. I have one reactor that is dual chambered. I control it's flow rate through a valve on the reactor, so no need to hard plumb it into the system.

My UV is also on it's own loop. I wouldn't recommend putting a UV on that manifold.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much of this depends on what you're keeping in the tank and what kind of reactors you have.
As far as pump size, that will depend on how much head pressure you have, as well as what turnover rate you want.

With the reactors, I just run mine in/out of my sump. I have one reactor that is dual chambered. I control it's flow rate through a valve on the reactor, so no need to hard plumb it into the system.

My UV is also on it's own loop. I wouldn't recommend putting a UV on that manifold.
I’m planning for a mixed reef- thanks for the UV tip- I was pretty much just listing things that would potentially be hooked up and I’ll keep that in mind. I would be using the 14” tall BRS reactors.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning for a mixed reef- thanks for the UV tip- I was pretty much just listing things that would potentially be hooked up and I’ll keep that in mind. I would be using the 14” tall BRS reactors.
My dual reactor is from BRS as well. Love it. Just drop the pump in your sump and you're good to go!

Remember, gate valves are not cheap. Ball valves would be sufficient on those reactor connections IMO. How "dialed in" does a reactor need to be? I just turn on the pump and let er rip! Unless it's GFO, then I use the valve on the line to slow it down.

One other question. Why are you keeping a 1" line on the overflow and a 3/4" one on the return? I'd stick with 1" on the return as well.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dual reactor is from BRS as well. Love it. Just drop the pump in your sump and you're good to go!

Remember, gate valves are not cheap. Ball valves would be sufficient on those reactor connections IMO. How "dialed in" does a reactor need to be? I just turn on the pump and let er rip! Unless it's GFO, then I use the valve on the line to slow it down.

One other question. Why are you keeping a 1" line on the overflow and a 3/4" one on the return? I'd stick with 1" on the return as well.
It’s a Deep Blue tank and that’s how the overflows are drilled out, I don’t have a choice in the return line sizing unfortunately.

I appreciate the help! I do want to make it work with the stock return pump and the manifold idea. Trying to limit the amount of pumps that would need to go in the sump.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back