Plumbing sump w/ dual filter socks

Ecce Animot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’ve got a question about setting up this Trigger Ruby 36 Sump. My question is about plumbing the dual filter socks. I’m currently in the process of selecting an overflow, but what I want to know is if I go with a bean-animal design would I want my primary drain to feed one of the socks while the secondary Durso style feeds the other or would I want to T-off my primary drain so it feeds both socks equally?

What if I went with a Herbie, I assume I’d want to T-off the primary in that case or should I avoid this design with this particular sump all together?

Thanks for any feedback. Cheers!

RUBY36S_MAIN.png

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's proper but the bean animals I've seen set up, each overflow pipe comes down on its own into the chamber or sock using two 45's to kick in the pipe under the sump.

Id think if you t them off, it'll be quite a bit louder as the water will be trying to equalize between both lines back pressure.

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 2 with the bean animal as you said, or 1 with the herbie. Just because it has 2 doesn’t mean you have to use them.

OP
OP
E

Ecce Animot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 2 with the bean animal as you said, or 1 with the herbie. Just because it has 2 doesn’t mean you have to use them.
I don't know if it's proper but the bean animals I've seen set up, each overflow pipe comes down on its own into the chamber or sock using two 45's to kick in the pipe under the sump.

Id think if you t them off, it'll be quite a bit louder as the water will be trying to equalize between both lines back pressure.
Gotcha - that's really the only way I've seen others set them up but since no instructions came with the sump I wasn't sure what was best - and I didn't think about the additional noise T'ing them off produce - Thanks for the input!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, Herbie or Beananimal, you should feed the primary full siphon line into one sock and feed the secondary trickle line into the other sock.

If you’re going Beananimal, the dry open channel emergency line can go into the refugium chamber with the outlet elevated above the water level in the sump so you can hear the water splashing if the emergency line is triggered.

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’ve got a question about setting up this Trigger Ruby 36 Sump. My question is about plumbing the dual filter socks. I’m currently in the process of selecting an overflow, but what I want to know is if I go with a bean-animal design would I want my primary drain to feed one of the socks while the secondary Durso style feeds the other or would I want to T-off my primary drain so it feeds both socks equally?

What if I went with a Herbie, I assume I’d want to T-off the primary in that case or should I avoid this design with this particular sump all together?

Thanks for any feedback. Cheers!

RUBY36S_MAIN.png
you still have this sump?

SaltyGinger42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years late to the party, but is there any good way to plumb a dual filter with a durso design? Just got a house and I'm setting up a 90 gallon long. Trying to find the right sump for it

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back