Plumbing sump w/ dual filter socks

Ecce Animot

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Location
Seattle, WA
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’ve got a question about setting up this Trigger Ruby 36 Sump. My question is about plumbing the dual filter socks. I’m currently in the process of selecting an overflow, but what I want to know is if I go with a bean-animal design would I want my primary drain to feed one of the socks while the secondary Durso style feeds the other or would I want to T-off my primary drain so it feeds both socks equally?

What if I went with a Herbie, I assume I’d want to T-off the primary in that case or should I avoid this design with this particular sump all together?

Thanks for any feedback. Cheers!

RUBY36S_MAIN.png
 
I don't know if it's proper but the bean animals I've seen set up, each overflow pipe comes down on its own into the chamber or sock using two 45's to kick in the pipe under the sump.

Id think if you t them off, it'll be quite a bit louder as the water will be trying to equalize between both lines back pressure.
 
I would use 2 with the bean animal as you said, or 1 with the herbie. Just because it has 2 doesn’t mean you have to use them.
 
I would use 2 with the bean animal as you said, or 1 with the herbie. Just because it has 2 doesn’t mean you have to use them.
I don't know if it's proper but the bean animals I've seen set up, each overflow pipe comes down on its own into the chamber or sock using two 45's to kick in the pipe under the sump.

Id think if you t them off, it'll be quite a bit louder as the water will be trying to equalize between both lines back pressure.
Gotcha - that's really the only way I've seen others set them up but since no instructions came with the sump I wasn't sure what was best - and I didn't think about the additional noise T'ing them off produce - Thanks for the input!
 
Either way, Herbie or Beananimal, you should feed the primary full siphon line into one sock and feed the secondary trickle line into the other sock.

If you’re going Beananimal, the dry open channel emergency line can go into the refugium chamber with the outlet elevated above the water level in the sump so you can hear the water splashing if the emergency line is triggered.
 
Hello,

I’ve got a question about setting up this Trigger Ruby 36 Sump. My question is about plumbing the dual filter socks. I’m currently in the process of selecting an overflow, but what I want to know is if I go with a bean-animal design would I want my primary drain to feed one of the socks while the secondary Durso style feeds the other or would I want to T-off my primary drain so it feeds both socks equally?

What if I went with a Herbie, I assume I’d want to T-off the primary in that case or should I avoid this design with this particular sump all together?

Thanks for any feedback. Cheers!

RUBY36S_MAIN.png
you still have this sump?
 
Several years late to the party, but is there any good way to plumb a dual filter with a durso design? Just got a house and I'm setting up a 90 gallon long. Trying to find the right sump for it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new