[Plumbing] Threaded PVC extender vs Bulkhead

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying hard plumbing my tank for the first time, and got a problem I want some advise on. See picture:
IMG_20190830_090153.jpg

This is the outflow pipe, which should connect to a NPT to Loc-line adapter. The bottom hole is pre drilled and quite a bit bigger than the 1/2" bulkhead. I centered the bulkhead to the middle of the hole. But the NPT connector is just about 1/4" too far from the glass and the adapter can't reach it. How should I amend this?

I know one way I can go is to get back to using vinyl pipe to connect PVC from bottom to the output hole. That was the way the tank comes with. But I do want to hard plumb it for a consistent look of all the plumbing on the tank, if possible.

The other option is to move the bucket to the side of the hole. It does make it touch the glass. But I do worry about the bulkhead leaking. In fact it was that way while I glue in rest of the plumbing last night. But this morning I see a bit of water dripped to underneath. I think it not being in the center was causing that. I'm not sure if I should try further tighten it in fear of breaking the glass.

Another one I was wondering is if there is any sort of fitting that would cover the gap that small. The hole in the glass is a tiny bit too small to fit a 1/2 PVC pipe through. But whatever that need to go through the hole doesn't need to be water tight since it would just be part of the overflow anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much bigger is the hole? For a larger bulkhead perhaps? Either way, you could possibly use a pair of 45 fittings to get the elbow closer to the glass.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you need is called a 1/2in x 1 in PVC threaded nipple. You will have to also get a 1/2 in PVC coupler so that you have something to thread the locline into. You may not find these in the plumbing section of a big box store, but most likely in the gardening or sprinkler system area.

0close.jpg 430-005-3.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other.

Back