Pluming

jr453

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Sweden I’m starting up a rs 170 and I’m trying to figure out how to run the uv direct to the return line Here is my setup for now , did a place something’s wrong ?

IMG_1327.jpeg IMG_1363.jpeg

Or should y do something like this 2 drawings? IMG_1361.jpeg IMG_1360.jpeg
Or is this not possible to connect the uv like this ?
Thnx in advance .

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could work. Does the UV have an automatic shut off if it siphons empty? When the pump shuts off it looks like it will empty into the sump through the pump tubing.

OP
OP
J

jr453

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could work. Does the UV have an automatic shut off if it siphons empty? When the pump shuts off it looks like it will empty into the sump through the pump tubing.
I have a check valve y thinking to put in the inline pipe , then y gonna conected to the reef factory app so when the pump is off the uv gonna be off.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the return for the UV is before the intake for the UV. it would be more efficient if the return came in after the input. Also you need to put a flow meter on the UV. The best way is to create a manifold off of your return for a UV or other things. In my set up I have "t'd" off of the return to create a manifold as seen on the right. This is not for a RS170 tank but similar. I do have a RS170 with a manifold set up I can take a photo of that tomorrow if you need it.
IMG_9788.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jr453

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the return for the UV is before the intake for the UV. it would be more efficient if the return came in after the input. Also you need to put a flow meter on the UV. The best way is to create a manifold off of your return for a UV or other things. In my set up I have "t'd" off of the return to create a manifold as seen on the right. This is not for a RS170 tank but similar. I do have a RS170 with a manifold set up I can take a photo of that tomorrow if you need it.
IMG_9788.jpeg
Hello thnx for the in put do you have your uv connected to the return line ? If so y appreciate if you can fix some picture and explain more how it works . I’m gonna order som parts to try one more time to get it working .
Here in Sweden people don’t like manifolds so the experience is not big.

IMG_1365.jpeg

Something like this ?

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello thnx for the in put do you have your uv connected to the return line ? If so y appreciate if you can fix some picture and explain more how it works . I’m gonna order som parts to try one more time to get it working .
Here in Sweden people don’t like manifolds so the experience is not big.

IMG_1365.jpeg

Something like this ?
That could work. yes. I do not run a UV all the time, so I just hook it up when I need it, which is very rare and allows my to move it from tank to tank if required. It is the same with reactors. The manifold is there to attach stuff to temporarily. Although the truth be told, my chiller is still hooked up from the end of summer and hasn't turned on in months. <- Lazy lol.

OP
OP
J

jr453

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could work. yes. I do not run a UV all the time, so I just hook it up when I need it, which is very rare and allows my to move it from tank to tank if required. It is the same with reactors. The manifold is there to attach stuff to temporarily. Although the truth be told, my chiller is still hooked up from the end of summer and hasn't turned on in months. <- Lazy lol.
Ok then y understand , do you have something from your manifoifold hoked direct to the return or is everything going back to the sump ?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then y understand , do you have something from your manifoifold hoked direct to the return or is everything going back to the sump ?
I do both. I just make a PVC pipe hook and attach it to some soft vinyl tubing if I want it to go to the DT. But most of my reactors/chillers go back to the sump.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... that is a really nice job!

My UV just lays in my sump.

If you want to plumb it in, couldn't you just install it, in line on the drain pipe?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back