PO4 reduction in 8 hours via GFO (anecdotal)

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40G breeder tank with approximately 35G of water. Tank is bare bottom, with frags predominantly Zoa. 1/20th of tank volume is rock and sand in seperate section, along with cheato the size of two softballs, also in a seperate section. Tunze 9004 skimmer, and AquaClear 20. GFO material was housed in a porous bag placed in the bottom of the HOB AquaClear, with the supplied foam on top, with water flow set to maximum.

I had a reading of 0.58ppm PO4 on a Hanna phosphate checker, I added approximately 1/2 a cup of BRS GFO product SKU#000602. Within 8 hours the reading was 0.07ppm PO4.

Please note this is anecdotal, and is offered as a curiosity, and hopefully helpful. I had been looking for information on how to reduce phosphate, how much GFO to use, how often to replace, but specifics are difficult to come by. I thought this might be helpful to someone looking for similar information as myself.

derek yoonie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry is this run thru a reactor ? or just like passive in the sump , need to get one maybe L:)(

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media bag with the GFO in it, was placed in the media basket of the AquaClear 20 HOB, with a foam sponge on top of the GFO, and the media basket was placed back into the AquaClear 20 HOB power filter.

The way the water flows in this power filter, has the water running from the bottom, up and through the media basket, and exit out the top.

I expect that some water passes through the media as I saw a reduction in PO4, but I wonder if channeling might occur, which means that the water might move around the media and not pass through the GFO completely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked my PO4 and obtained a reading of 0.04ppm.

Wondering if I have exhausted the GFO.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised by how quick the PO4 dropped, I have nitrates up around 2 so hoping that might help a little, either way it is an interesting experience. I now have an experience that I can learn from.

Off to Memphis tomorrow and a new fish store to me, Memfish.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, which I'm not sure the answer of, but I can say this. I have a second tank, crystal clear water, nothing growing on the glass, no algae any where to be seen, with nitrates at 50, but PO4 at 0. Been sitting like this for nearly two weeks, coming up for a water change soon. Now I have a lovely bunch of Red, and I mean a beautiful red cyano outbreak in that tank. Have so much still to learn.

Back