Po4 will not go down no matter what!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roid is mostly phosphate. Continue use with the phosphate e, but you need to be careful since the lanthanum chloride binds with phosphate to form a grainy precipitate (size 10 microns) that needs to be removed with a skimmer or mechanical filter.
My phosphate regimen 125 total gallons:
1. Po4 > 0.3 ppm,
Run phosphate e: Drip diluted 50: 1 into overflow over 4 hours, catching in a 5 micron filter sock. Repeat as required. Phosphate binds to rock and sand, so you are cleaning not just water. If no filter, skimmer only, increase Drip time to 12 hours.
2. Po4 < 0.3 rowaphos 2 tablespoons in a reactor, run a refugium or turf scrubber.
Drip bag

OP
OP
Mr.Weathers

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roid is mostly phosphate. Continue use with the phosphate e, but you need to be careful since the lanthanum chloride binds with phosphate to form a grainy precipitate (size 10 microns) that needs to be removed with a skimmer or mechanical filter.
1. Po4 > 0.3 ppm,
Run phosphate e: Drip diluted 50: 1 into overflow over 4 hours, catching in a 5 micron filter sock. Repeat as required. Phosphate binds to rock and sand, so you are cleaning not just water. If no filter, skimmer only, increase Drip time to 12 hours.
2. Po4 < 0.3 rowaphos 2 tablespoons in a reactor, run a refugium or turf scrubber.
Drip bag

I have a good size fuge and a esk-1000 hydorr dc pump skimmer. After a week of putting phosphate e directly into skimmer this is all I pulled out. Will post pic

OP
OP
Mr.Weathers

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Po4 > 0.3 ppm,
Drip bag

Attachments

• CBEF6902-B66D-4EF4-B067-913EBDBB80A9.jpeg
    CBEF6902-B66D-4EF4-B067-913EBDBB80A9.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 34

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much phosphate e have you used?
The tannish stuff looks like my skimmate when running lanthanum

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the half of my sump without sand had a pretty good amount of detritus. Having that just sitting in the tank would increase po4 reads right? I have giant filter socks and I only clean them once a week if not longer. Maybe that’s also why

I was in the same boat as you. I mentioned in an earlier post, rather than dose lanthanum which can be hard on fish, or GFO which can drop PO4 too fast, I chose to optimize my filtration. Change your socks every other day - it's works and they're easier to clean. At night, stir up detritus in the sump, the corals will feed on it, and your fresh socks will catch the rest. Fine tune your skimmer.. do the simple things and it will come back down on its own without crashing the tank. This worked for me. As I said before, I was battling .77+ P04, and I've been able to bring it back down to .02 - .08 this way. It took a few months though, but like everyone says, nothing good happens fast. I now have a power head in my sump that turns on at 2:00 a.m. for 5 minutes to stir the detritus automatically, corals love it, and params stay in check. Don't chase numbers, make moderate changes and let the params come to you.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drip lathanum chloride works 100%

Both you MUST do your research of the right LaCl solution to buy and where and how much to drip it

OP
OP
Mr.Weathers

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you. I mentioned in an earlier post, rather than dose lanthanum which can be hard on fish, or GFO which can drop PO4 too fast, I chose to optimize my filtration. Change your socks every other day - it's works and they're easier to clean. At night, stir up detritus in the sump, the corals will feed on it, and your fresh socks will catch the rest. Fine tune your skimmer.. do the simple things and it will come back down on its own without crashing the tank. This worked for me. As I said before, I was battling .77+ P04, and I've been able to bring it back down to .02 - .08 this way. It took a few months though, but like everyone says, nothing good happens fast. I now have a power head in my sump that turns on at 2:00 a.m. for 5 minutes to stir the detritus automatically, corals love it, and params stay in check. Don't chase numbers, make moderate changes and let the params come to you.
Awesome I’ve actually been considering getting more filter socks so I can keep them switched out and I definitely need a pump in one half of my sump. Appreciate your help! Sounds like I just need to make some minor adjustments and stay vigilant with cleaning and such I just thought with my giant sump and fuge packed full of macro I wouldn’t have this issue lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back