chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys

is this a pocillopora or a stylophora?
If its a pocillo I assume its a normal damicornis and like a pest?

Talking bout the pink one with green polyps
5709f04b-3772-4e40-b4b8-ae58bc72dc55.jpeg

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillopora possibly not a damicornis (verrucosa or eydouxi?).
Probably not verrucosa or grandis. Verrucosa has larger branches with verrucae and grandis has even larger, more widely-spaced branches that would not fit in a conventional aquarium. Most likely damicornis, as it has small branchlets with no verrucae. However, I cannot be totally sure, as Pocillopora is a very morphologically variable species, with specimens of one species turning into other species when transplanted into different places. Definitely not Stylophora though, as those have hoods on their corallites.

PS, eydouxi is a junior synonym of grandis, so it is not an accepted name.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not verrucosa or grandis. Verrucosa has larger branches with verrucae and grandis has even larger, more widely-spaced branches that would not fit in a conventional aquarium. Most likely damicornis, as it has small branchlets with no verrucae. However, I cannot be totally sure, as Pocillopora is a very morphologically variable species, with specimens of one species turning into other species when transplanted into different places. Definitely not Stylophora though, as those have hoods on their corallites.

PS, eydouxi is a junior synonym of grandis, so it is not an accepted name.
Not 100% on that. I have a non-damicornic Pocillopora (possibly verrucosa) that started as below but now looks similar to the above. I would wait until it grows significant new branches
Pocillopora_verrucosa_–_Pink___Green_–_Orchard_Reef_Coral_Farm.jpg
to make a final species call.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% on that. I have a non-damicornic Pocillopora (possibly verrucosa) that started as below but now looks similar to the above. I would wait until it grows significant new branches
but the question is, does that one also spread polyps in the whole tank?

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 11 Pocillopora damicornis in my tank for 3 years, all thriving and large. I never had any spreading/ bailout problems. I love them. Others will say remove them. I’d keep it because they are so easy to keep and rewarding especially in the early period of a reef tank.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 11 Pocillopora damicornis in my tank for 3 years, all thriving and large. I never had any spreading/ bailout problems. I love them. Others will say remove them. I’d keep it because they are so easy to keep and rewarding especially in the early period of a reef tank.
Well I think especially the green one is prne to spread polyps.
A friend of mine has the whole tank full of pocillo polyps..even on the glass and on the snail shells.. everything is full with polyps :D

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your Pocillopora has verrucae, while @chipchipmofo 's Pocillopora does not. Having no verrucae is a characteristic of P. damicornis.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That looks like a small colony of P. verrucosa to me. This is the typical appearance and color scheme of verrucosa before it gets large enough to develop the much larger pillar like branching structure. A damicornis of this size would likely have many thin branches.

It is very unlikely to spread by polyp bailout like the green damicornis. I have had P. verrucosa for 15+ years and never had a single new colony pop up in my tank. I also have a pink damicornis that has not spread in about 5 years.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a P. verrucosa at a small size, can look very much like damicornis:
1-2015Hawaiian Pocci.jpg

And here it is as a mature colony. These "branches" are 1-2.5" across:
IMG_2690.jpeg
the first photo looks to be a damicornis phenotype, not verrucosa. P. verrucosa have clubbed branches radiating from a central point with large verrucae, while your coral has branches with branclets.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
the first photo looks to be a damicornis phenotype, not verrucosa. P. verrucosa have clubbed branches radiating from a central point with large verrucae, while your coral has branches with branclets.

It is the same coral in both photos. That is my point. Young verrucosa can look somewhat similar to a densely growing damicornis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double post... below with the pics...

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very distinctive species in situ, but in the aquarium they will vary tremendously in colony shape, pigment formation and it becomes very hard to know the exact species. Generally speaking P. damicornis will have much thinner branches than P. meandrina. The distinguished shape between M. verrucosa and P. grandis can be noticed if they are in the same tank, or when the colony grows to a certain size. The colors also play some. P. verrucosa will be more colorful than P. grandis.

Notice the distribution of the polyps and formation of skeleton below (in situ):
P. grandis:
1685681263011.png

1685681306529.png

P. meandrina:
1685681351699.png

1685681368202.png

1685681397979.png

We also have P. verrucosa in Hawaii:
1685681453311.png

P. damiconis:
1685681484724.png

1685681523175.png

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell much from aquarium frags.
Specially with the lights they have nowadays.
They need to grow more to try to distinguish to the species' level, and there are many other species of Pocillopora.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the same coral in both photos. That is my point. Young verrucosa can look somewhat similar to a densely growing damicornis.
Pocillopora is a very phenotypically variable genus, with morphospecies turning into other morphospecies when transplanted into different places, so I wouldn't be surprised if they came the same colony.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back