Pods and Phytoplankton

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, so I'm considering raising some pods. I'm getting ready to start phyto first. How much phyto am I going to want to be having available on a daily basis to feed the pods? I'm going to be using it to "feed" a 125 with a decent amount of live rock but that's not started yet. My wife wants a Mandarin or Red Scooter blenny so I want to get the population up and then have some to feed the tank every couple of days after that. I've got plenty of small tanks to start farming and I understand not mixing the different pods and phyto.

I'm planning on rotifers, phyto, and either Tigger or Tisbe.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok, so I'm considering raising some pods. I'm getting ready to start phyto first. How much phyto am I going to want to be having available on a daily basis to feed the pods? I'm going to be using it to "feed" a 125 with a decent amount of live rock but that's not started yet. My wife wants a Mandarin or Red Scooter blenny so I want to get the population up and then have some to feed the tank every couple of days after that. I've got plenty of small tanks to start farming and I understand not mixing the different pods and phyto.

I'm planning on rotifers, phyto, and either Tigger or Tisbe.
As corals will consume it and benefit from it also, I use algae barn phyto and recommended is to add about 1 ounce of phytoplankton every other day. I

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As corals will consume it and benefit from it also, I use algae barn phyto and recommended is to add about 1 ounce of phytoplankton every other day. I
Thanks! I currently use phyto for my tank but when I upgrade to the 125 I want to start seeding my tank early on with pods in addition to the phyto once I get some coral in there. I'm trying to decide how much phyto I'll need to raise pods and dose the tank. I feel like a 10 gallon tank is probably overkill, but I was considering putting a divider in and doing like 5 gallons of phyto and 3 gallons of pods and then a separate 3 gallon jar of rotifers.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the poseiden reef systems culture kit for pods and phyto….I chose it for the smaller foot print over extra lights and such. I harvest 3 liters a week of phyto. Put 2 in the fridge and use the 3rd to restart the next batch. My pod success has varied….some weeks I got thick harvests and others I used all of the harvest to restart the next culture because it was so thin. Currently I swapped to tiger pods in the poseiden system but just set up a seperate 5 gallon tank with a 5280 jar from algae barn! Hoping to keep it as an on going culture and just harvest as it gets thick with pods.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back