Pods questions

Neublian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to order two bottles of Pods - shipping next week. I've cultured phyto years ago, but I've never tried a copepod culture - can you point me towards some good info.

Thanks

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to order two bottles of Pods - shipping next week. I've cultured phyto years ago, but I've never tried a copepod culture - can you point me towards some good info.

Thanks

Absolutely. I’m working on an article now. But I can send some info. Stay tuned....

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All starter kits come with my tech support. I’ve successfully started a few people from the forum. MSB123 is one of my customers that ordered a Rotifer starter kit. He’s been VERY successful

I would like to start culturing phyto. I've heard its easy and I'll have some on hand next week. Any advice on reading material?

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the male has a spike on his dorsal fin and the female doesn't. Ooops it was already answered. Slow internet today.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start culturing phyto. I've heard its easy and I'll have some on hand next week. Any advice on reading material?

Hi, yes it is easy. Tonite I will post some pics to show everyone how easy it is. If you want I can do a series on rotifers and copepods, starting and maintaining your cultures.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both c

both coral and pods eat the phyto. Two bags of pods will establish a population. How long until you get a stable thriving population depends on how much shelter, predation, and food they have. If you are looking for a mandarin know that there may be some boom/bust cycles as the pods establish, and you should probably wait several months. Its one of the reasons people warn not to get one until the tank has matured at least a year.

That’s why it’s important to establish a separate place, besides your refugium and main display.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yes it is easy. Tonite I will post some pics to show everyone how easy it is. If you want I can do a series on rotifers and copepods, starting and maintaining your cultures.
That would be awesome. Just starting to cycle my tank (dr Tim’s) and was thinking pods to be the next addition to give them time to populate before adding other creatures. Is my thinking right?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, definitely. Most people don’t consider them as part of the clean up crew. I would say the ABSOLUTE FOUNDATION, even in a probiotic sense, because there’s some theories that copepods actually eat some bacteria? Mostly while consuming decaying matter, detritus.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most common species In the reef hobby is Tigriopus Californicus. Aka Tigger Pods. These happen to be the most commonly available species and are easily propagated in our reef aquariums, refugiums and culture vessels for quicker reproduction due to lack of predation.
These separate cultures is what I’m goin to be talking about.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like everyone to know that it is extremely easy to propagate these little guys. Once you have it set up, you just check on it once in awhile. The most amount of time is spent doing water changes (yes, you have to change their water.), feeding 2-3 times a week and just making sure that their environment is as stable as possible. If you’ve master refkeeping, this will be like keeping goldfish compared.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Time to go grab something to jot down some simple instructions.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all you’re going to need a container. Any food grade container will do, but I prefer either a 5gal food/grade container from Home Depot. It’s a white container that’s almost clear. The lighter the better. This will allow you to examine your copepods by using a bright flashlight to illuminate them making them visible. Other wise they are literally invisible from above, even with a flashlight. They will be attracted to the light and this will make it easier to count and to catch them.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next your going to need salt water at a Spec Grav of 1.025. Copepods can withstand a very wide range of salinity, as well as the more extreme temperatures, hot or cold. However, if they get over 90 F, it most certainly ends in their demise.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to need a food source. Phytoplankton is the food of choice for most creatures this small. Phytoplankton is the liquid gold of the oceans of the world. It’s at the bottom of the food chain, the foundation. I’ve heard of people experimenting with different kinds of foods such a spiralina and yeast of all things. I can’t tell you if these other food sources actually work for the Tigger pod.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add enough phytoplankton so that you can barely make ou the bottom when looking for the top. It should be a tinted green, no a soupy green.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next you next to place an airline in the container. You will need some sort of valve so you can adjust the amount of air down to One to two bubbles a second. Copepods do not appreciate vigorous bubbling. They’ll just hide.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back