Pods questions

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any questions to post? You can ask anything regarding copepods, rotifers and phytoplankton.
Yes I have questions
I buy Poseidon’s feast from algae barn every two months (6000)
But I don’t see any copepods in my tank once I introduce them
I put 4000 in the main display and other ( at least water they come in) into my sump
I didn’t know to turn off my Skimmer but will do
I always introduce them just before I go to bed there’s no light other moon light in the tank
And they always go into a corner using a tube so they go to the bottom of the tank
I’ve added four shipments to my tank
I have the following fish:
A yellow Goby ( 1 1/2 long)
A four inch diamond watchmen
Two two in firefish
Two two in clowns
Two cardinalfish
Two chromis

I buy the oceanmagic but also use Seachems phytoplankton and zooplankton

Shouldn’t I be seeing something? I see them in the bag but never in the tank

Also rumor has it that I should be buying from Paul
Thanks

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have questions
I put 4000 in the main display and other ( at least water they come in) into my sump
I always introduce them just before I go to bed there’s no light other moon light in the tank
And they always go into a corner using a tube so they go to the bottom of the tank
Two two in firefish
Two two in clowns
Two cardinalfish
Two chromis

Thanks

Yes you should absolutely see them reproduce.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m Paul. But I’m just a normal guy. I don’t have a company. I just raise them for myself, well, Manny my Dragonette Mandrin, and my friends.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m Paul. But I’m just a normal guy. I don’t have a company. I just raise them for myself, well, Manny my Dragonette Mandrin, and my friends.[/QUOTE
So do you know if what you purchased are the Tigriopus Californicus and or the Tisbe Pods?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have questions
Two two in firefish
Two two in clowns
Two cardinalfish
Two chromis

Thanks

Also, I have a few tricks I can suggest to you. What do u actually have in your sump, Bob?

Kurt Grant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have questions
Two two in firefish
Two two in clowns
Two cardinalfish
Two chromis

Thanks
Why do you add them ever 2 i bought them once from Reeferpalooza i think 8 months ago and i see pods everywhere.. all u need to do is set up a cheato reactor something small and you'l keep Reproducing pods endlessly

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another problem Bob, is that they often sell cold water species that die shortly after hitting the water

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell most people that it’s ok to buy copepods, but you want to get your money’s worth and have a seperate culture to feed your own tank and or supplement it until you can establish a hearty population. By just throwing them in the tank or sump you’re not going to fix it in one shot.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a home culture for pods is very simple and very basic. It isn’t even time consuming. You just need a bucket, air line and pump and a food source. Phytoplankton is the best and the ONLY one that I know to work.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried other feeds, but I’ve heard that pressed macro algae works and spiralina and even bakers’ yeast. I can’t say one way or the other.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you’re buying a bucket get a food-grade, white or clear to illuminate easier to check your population. I use a product called RG Complete. It’s an all in one. Although I’m growing my own Phyto that’s what I’ve been using for my pods because it has a fish safe ammonia blocker in it.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a comparison trial to see what works best.

Newt0075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still totally new to pods.... So I have a tank that is about 8 months or so old. I have a nice size fug with tons a cheato. The only fish are 2 clowns, 3 firefish, and 1 flamehawk. I want mandarins one day.... So I know I'll need pods.

If I want to start getting the populations going what do I need to start adding and when? Is it something I will always have to keep adding more pods every few weeks/months ect or does it become self-sustaining?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still totally new to pods.... So I have a tank that is about 8 months or so old. I have a nice size fug with tons a cheato. The only fish are 2 clowns, 3 firefish, and 1 flamehawk. I want mandarins one day.... So I know I'll need pods.

If I want to start getting the populations going what do I need to start adding and when? Is it something I will always have to keep adding more pods every few weeks/months ect or does it become self-sustaining?

So it sounds like a good refugium habitat. But like I always say, a separate culture, no matter how small you scale it. The smallest vessel I use is a 5 gal glass aquarium. I have it by a window. I been experimenting seeing if actual sunlight does anything different as it’s a great way to build a natural algae build up. I have that senate for the 5 gallon bucket u use for my regular cultures.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as airline tubing goes, you’ll only want a bubble every second. I didn’t clarify that from earlier before when I was explaining how to culture T Californicus or the “Tigger Pod”

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you add them ever 2 i bought them once from Reeferpalooza i think 8 months ago and i see pods everywhere.. all u need to do is set up a cheato reactor something small and you'l keep Reproducing pods endlessly

He has chaeto in his refugium already he said....No, I still maintain the absolute VERY best way is to have a seperate culture. This way you can control their environment and then add as you split your culture. Trust me. Here’s MY proof. This is MANNY the Mandrin. He’s fed on copepods that I’ve raised in seperate cultures away from predation, for an endless source. There’s no more ordering from anywhere. Now I make a couple of xtra bucks giving them to my friends.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back