Pods questions

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, you need a nice dense source culture, your copepod brood stock. Each female can carry up to 200 eggs, but it takes weeks for the gestation and all the stages the larvae goes thru to finally become a juvenile.
This is just a quick overview about culturing copepods. There are countless articles and YouTube videos for reference. Watch how other people put a spin on this basic way to raise copepods for live food and clean up crew.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s about all for tonight. Wanted to do more but ran out of time. Thank you everyone and let’s use this or make our own thread with copepod facts, tips on culturing copepods AND rotifers.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be awesome. Just starting to cycle my tank (dr Tim’s) and was thinking pods to be the next addition to give them time to populate before adding other creatures. Is my thinking right?

Any particular issue u need help with? Are your copepods not reproducing?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to order two bottles of Pods - shipping next week. I've cultured phyto years ago, but I've never tried a copepod culture - can you point me towards some good info.

Thanks

So what issue were you having trouble with? Are your pods just not reproducing?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any questions to post? You can ask anything regarding copepods, rotifers and phytoplankton.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but first where are you getting your source cultures?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the male has a spike on his dorsal fin and the female doesn't. Ooops it was already answered. Slow internet today.

Correct answer to the Mandrin question: Males have a long dorsal fin. Females do not. Check out todays question.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pdisner for phytoplankton, can we use stuff like Kent Phytoplex https://www.marinedepot.com/Kent_Ma...Food-Kent_Marine-KM3571-FIFDLI-KM3573-vi.html ?

I have a bottle in the refrigerator for over 6 months. I think the phytoplankton are probably all dead right?

So are you asking if you can feed that to your pods? I don’t see why not. However if you choose to go that route, it can. Be a bit expensive. I’ve used a product called RG Complete. This is a combination of a few types of micro algae. It too is dead, but the individual Phyto cells are unconprimised and less waste/detritus from whatever you’re feeding. It also has An ammonia binding agent, which can be helpful if using in a copepod bin, with free standing water for the most part.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct answer to the Mandrin question: Males have a long dorsal fin. Females do not. Check out todays question.

Yes that is a VERY GOOD ARTICLE. There is also some really good information on this site: www.MBIsite.org This is a site where you can get all types of different methods (all basically the same) for a variety of different organisms, different methods by different breeders. It goes into depth about the different species of Phytoplankton, rotifers, copepods, inverts, fish and everything in between. Check it out.

4fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I turn off my pumps and skimmer for about 30 minutes after dumping in the pods after lights out at night. Then I leave off my skimmer and uv til morning. I remove filter socks too. Give the pods a great chance to seed themselves all over the tank.
Also on the filter sock aspect. Be sure to check them before cleaning them, I always find a lot of pods in the socks.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular issue u need help with? Are your copepods not reproducing?
No problems. Just thinking since all life forms from small to large (oversimplified I know), once my cycle is complete should my next addition be pods? Then snails/hermits etc CUC in small quantity to start (no package deals) then more fish?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems. Just thinking since all life forms from small to large (oversimplified I know), once my cycle is complete should my next addition be pods? Then snails/hermits etc CUC in small quantity to start (no package deals) then more fish?

Yes. I actually answere your post about that. But most definitely, positively YES! You may need to supplement their diet with some Phyto. Most people don’t think of them as part I the clean up crew, but in my opinion they are the MOST vital team member. But I can’t leave out AMPHIpods. They are just as vital. Sounds like you’re in the right track!

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this you’re first tank or have you been in the hobby awhile? What do you think you’ll pick out for other livestock? Corals?

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pods are great once its cycled (and feed phyto). CUC only as needed for algae, or you will starve them. alternatively you can feed them algae such as seaweed sheets. One fish can be added now as well (somewhat hardy). The feeding and its production of ammonia will in turn feed pyhto and algae which will feed the others. Possibly some hardy corals too. You will be getting fluctuations in ph, n, p and other elements as algae and bacteria grow and die, so sensitive creatures don't seem to fair as well.

If you haven't seen this post, the original article is from Eric Borneman in reefkeeping magazine. Great info for new tanks.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/must-read-for-planning-new-setup-cure-cycling.294017/

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pods are great once its cycled (and feed phyto). CUC only as needed for algae, or you will starve them. alternatively you can feed them algae such as seaweed sheets. One fish can be added now as well (somewhat hardy). The feeding and its production of ammonia will in turn feed pyhto and algae which will feed the others. Possibly some hardy corals too. You will be getting fluctuations in ph, n, p and other elements as algae and bacteria grow and die, so sensitive creatures don't seem to fair as well.

If you haven't seen this post, the original article is from Eric Borneman in reefkeeping magazine. Great info for new tanks.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/must-read-for-planning-new-setup-cure-cycling.294017/

So I’m not seeing any reference to copepods at all. Can u find it and quote it for us? I think his concern/question was if he should add his copepods now that he believes his tank has finished getting thru start-up cycle.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m not seeing any reference to copepods at all. Can u find it and quote it for us? I think his concern/question was if he should add his copepods now that he believes his tank has finished getting thru start-up cycle.
I was referencing the article more for CUC and fish additions.
I agree that adding any beneficial life forms that can take the parameter fluctuations are good additions early. I would throw macro algaes into that category as well as pods.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on maintaining a seperate copepod culture. Other than what’s been posted? I’m trying to compile as much info for everyone as possible. As we all know there are many ways to do the same thing, I was trying to help a few people out getting their home cultures started for live food, rotifers, copepods, baby/adult brine and of course the mother of all phytoplankton. So yeah, that’s my aim here. To get from everyone with experience all the tips and tricks, not only just the basics.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%

Back