Pods when can I add?

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am cycling my aquarium which is almost done cycling. How soon after the cycle is done can I add Pods? I am looking to buy some from Algae Barn wanna buy the whole kit so I will have the stuff to feed them too.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your cycle. Anytime soon after the cycle is complete is fine so long as they have sufficient nutrition to thrive.

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also say they can be added shortly after the cycle. Your tank would probably eventually develope a healthy pod population even if you didn't seed the tank but if you add them it'll definitely be worth it in the long run IMO...

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need fish first? I was trying to get a good pod population before I added fish.
Need... not necessarily, but helpful to give the critters a steady food supply.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish eat pods, I'd start before adding fish as long as you plan on feeding the pods. Did you get OceanMagik with your pods? Feeding that will be important as they won't have any other detritus to clean up.

OP
OP
EHaddad

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish eat pods, I'd start before adding fish as long as you plan on feeding the pods. Did you get OceanMagik with your pods? Feeding that will be important as they won't have any other detritus to clean up.
I have not ordered the pods yet but when I do I do plan on getting the Phytoplankton to feed them with. That’s what I was thinking. I was trying to grow a population of pods before adding the fish to avoid the Detritus. I have not decided between @AlgaeBarn and @Reef Nutrition. Anyone have recommendations?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not ordered the pods yet but when I do I do plan on getting the Phytoplankton to feed them with. That’s what I was thinking. I was trying to grow a population of pods before adding the fish to avoid the Detritus. I have not decided between @AlgaeBarn and @Reef Nutrition. Anyone have recommendations?
You will not avoid detritus by adding pods. Helps manage some wast but by no means will they ever eliminate detritus. They in turn will be creating detritus by eating viable nutrients within the detritus... Just a FYI...

Have heard nothing but good things about Algae Barn and have ordered from them for others.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some Posiden's feast and OceanMagik from Algeabarn and was very happy. The reason I mention detritus is that pods can be an important part of a well rounded clean-up crew. They eat more than the phyto, but you won't have any fish poop for them to eat so adding a food is even more important. Phyto will add to your bioload and can increase your phos and trates so monitor them and ramp up like the bottle says. It really is magic though, my corals go insane for the stuff when I dump it in once a day.

OP
OP
EHaddad

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not avoid detritus by adding pods. Helps manage some wast but by no means will they ever eliminate detritus. They in turn will be creating detritus by eating viable nutrients within the detritus... Just a FYI...
Yea I figured that, just thought it wouldn’t be as bad as adding fish. Trying to avoid a horrible algae bloom while starting the tank

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I figured that, just thought it wouldn’t be as bad as adding fish. Trying to avoid a horrible algae bloom while starting the tank
The only way to avoid an algae bloom is to have fully cycled live rock and low nutrients. Pods, IMHO, will do very little to help avoid algae. They are just a small piece of the overall ecosystem puzzle.

OP
OP
EHaddad

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some Posiden's feast and OceanMagik from Algeabarn and was very happy. The reason I mention detritus is that pods can be an important part of a well rounded clean-up crew. They eat more than the phyto, but you won't have any fish poop for them to eat so adding a food is even more important. Phyto will add to your bioload and can increase your phos and trates so monitor them and ramp up like the bottle says. It really is magic though, my corals go insane for the stuff when I dump it in once a day.

What are the differences in the types of Pods that @AlgaeBarn sells?

OP
OP
EHaddad

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to avoid an algae bloom is to have fully cycled live rock and low nutrients. Pods, IMHO, will do very little to help avoid algae. They are just a small piece of the overall ecosystem puzzle.
No I get that. That’s why I am trying to add them before fish alittle less detritus than fish would produce.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the differences in the types of Pods that @AlgaeBarn sells?
That's an awesome question. I couldn't really figure it out. I mean I know they are different species of pods but I have no idea why one is more desirable over another. I bought the P-Feast because it seemed like the most popular mix of pods, and I have added Tisbe pods before from another source. Figured a little genetic diversity couldn't hurt.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods love film algae and a dirty tank. I have bought them from many sources. Good to have a good mix of different sizes. I have been buying these when they go on sale now and then. Usually - buy one get one free 1000 ea

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can speak to the customer service at AlgaeBarn and had the same early addition of pods thought you are having. The pods and Oceanmagik (phyto) arrived well packaged and on time. That is saying something in this supply chain environment. I'll let you know how it goes and I just added them (candidly a bit early but hopefully not detrimentally early.) And Shaun says its "ok" as long as they have food! (post 5)

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 month later and going well. Slight algae on my dry rock, nitrates running around 10, phosphate between .01-.02. Bit of film on the glass. I’d say it has been working so far. My pod population is pretty extensive. My red ogo is healthy chaeto hanging in but not booming yet emerald crabs helping and fish on the way shortly.

692D6DDF-50B5-482F-B172-F8500CCBD6FF.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back