Polishing an Acrylic Splash Guard

  • Thread starter Thread starter -Logzor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
2,563
Reaction score
324
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The splash guard on my Aquaactinics Constellation light fixture has become scratched up and hazy. I fear that it is blocking a significant amount of light transmission.

What can I do to clear up the acrylic?
 
I'd just buy another thin piece of acrylic and slide it right in... Too much work and if it's thin you'll get warping anyhow.
 
I'd just buy another thin piece of acrylic and slide it right in... Too much work and if it's thin you'll get warping anyhow.

Thanks - I appreciate your input. Where would be the best place to purchase a thin new sheet of acrylic? It's probably only 1/8" and is 47" x 14" or so.
 
HD or Lowes will carry that thickness of acrylic. I think they carry up to 1/4 inch if I'm not mistaken. I agree that replacing it would be easier than cleaning it.
 
I work with acrylic quite a bit. I find the novus products to work quite well for scratch removal. Amazon has a kit for 10 bucks with scratch remover cleaner and polish...
 
I would leave it out or replace it personally.... Even a brand new piece blocks a huge amount of light fwiw...
 
Thanks for the advice everyone, it sounds like replacing it or just leaving it out is the best option. The only thing that I fear is my reflectors becoming tarnished. If those get messed up then I'm really out of luck.

What kind of % of light blockage are we talking about? Does the acrylic effect the spectrum of the light?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone, it sounds like replacing it or just leaving it out is the best option. The only thing that I fear is my reflectors becoming tarnished. If those get messed up then I'm really out of luck.

What kind of % of light blockage are we talking about? Does the acrylic effect the spectrum of the light?

i would replace it for the tarnishing you speak of. you might want to see if they have glass that size then you dont have to worry about it getting scratched again.
the only issue there would be obviously breakage
 
Yes glass would be a very nice upgrade. I would have to be very careful with it, though.
 
hot glass and cold water don't mix..... that's the reason there plastic... how far is the fixture off the tank??? if you want to replace it make sure to get acrylic the light blockage isn't to bad but lexan "aka. polycarbonate" will kill it and scratch from just wiping it with a towel...:cry:
 
hot glass and cold water don't mix..... that's the reason there plastic... how far is the fixture off the tank??? if you want to replace it make sure to get acrylic the light blockage isn't to bad but lexan "aka. polycarbonate" will kill it and scratch from just wiping it with a towel...:cry:

The fixture is only 3-4 inches above the water. So close enough to get splashed.
 
hot glass and cold water don't mix..... that's the reason there plastic... how far is the fixture off the tank??? if you want to replace it make sure to get acrylic the light blockage isn't to bad but lexan "aka. polycarbonate" will kill it and scratch from just wiping it with a towel...:cry:

The Sfiligoi fixtures come with glass shields to protect the bulbs and reflectors and they work beautifully! No issues after 3+ years. Easy to slide out and clean. Not saying that will be the easiest fix here, only that it's possible and does work quite well.
 
The Sfiligoi fixtures come with glass shields to protect the bulbs and reflectors and they work beautifully! No issues after 3+ years. Easy to slide out and clean. Not saying that will be the easiest fix here, only that it's possible and does work quite well.

Thanks for your input, glad to hear this is working with your light fixture. Is there anything special about the glass (tempered, starphire, etc)?

How thick is it and what dimensions?
 
What kind of danger do you run having the lights exposed to salt creep?
reflectors, sockets and connections corroding.
perhaps a short from the salt creep. creep on the bulbs blocking light. water splashing on the bulbs. there are many other things that could, but those are going to be the most common
 
The fixture is only 3-4 inches above the water. So close enough to get splashed.
that's awfully close to the water..... i have never had a fixture closer than 8" so i don't have those problems.... also helps with cooling of the fixture and the tank....you could remove the shield raise the fixture to 10" to 12" and be around the same par you have now imho....
 
that's awfully close to the water..... i have never had a fixture closer than 8" so i don't have those problems.... also helps with cooling of the fixture and the tank....you could remove the shield raise the fixture to 10" to 12" and be around the same par you have now imho....

Quiet possibly true - and definitely a good solution, the problem is that I will run into the issue of blinding people in the room.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new