Votes: 398 59.5%

• Total voters

ReeferAl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a DIY auto feeder for (thawed) frozen food. It dispenses small amounts of food about 6 times daily. This is a mixture of brine shrimp, Mysis, copepods, daphnia, small krill. I also have a Neptune auto feeder that dispenses pellets once daily.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a DIY auto feeder for (thawed) frozen food. It dispenses small amounts of food about 6 times daily. This is a mixture of brine shrimp, Mysis, copepods, daphnia, small krill. I also have a Neptune auto feeder that dispenses pellets once daily.

Any info on the DIY auto feeder? Had one shared earlier with the mini-fridge. Curious what you came up with.

ReeferAl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted pictures and info on another forum in the past. I don't know if I'm allowed to link to that?
The key elements are:
1. Fridge to keep food chilled
2. Peristaltic pump to dispense food. It has 3/8" ID tubing for larger food items. This is the hardest part of the doser to obtain.
3. Stirring mechanism to suspend the food before dosing.
4. Flow loop from tank to carry food away from fridge to pump intake in sump.
5. Timing mechanism to initiate feed cycle.

Last edited:

ReeferAl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feed cycle works like this:
Trigger starts stirrer and flow loop.
After about 3 minutes the peristaltic pump is activated for about 1 sec.
Stirrer and flow loop continue another couple of minutes and then shut off until next trigger.

I first built this over 10 yrs ago and have been using it, with a few early modifications, ever since.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted pictures and info on another forum in the past. I don't know if I'm allowed to link to that?
The key elements are:
1. Fridge to keep food chilled
2. Peristaltic pump to dispense food. It has 3/8" ID tubing for larger food items. This is the hardest part of the doser to obtain.
3. Stirring mechanism to suspend the food before dosing.
4. Flow loop from tank to carry food away from fridge to pump intake in sump.
5. Timing mechanism to initiate feed cycle.

Can I assume this is what you're referring to? http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1308644. Another great DIY project for sure.

Gamma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cheap battery run a to just for my couple of vacations each year but have question...for those of you who feed throughout the day with ATO do you just feed or do you have flow reduced somehow?

Reefer1464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the reasons and advantagous of alto feeders, but what about the powerheads surely they should be off?

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, here's some pictures I just took of the auto feeder fridge.
1b3b13fcc89f58d933fe46b2464735cf.jpg
40780f931a6ede1a92feb5211f788c33.jpg
80c6ef5173e81c0854ed6f74542624a2.jpg

what temp is fridge set at, I noticed your doser is inside fridge, no problems with electronics?

ReeferAl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thread I started about my doser:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/auto-frozen-food-feeder.330344/#post-4105609
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/auto-frozen-food-feeder.330344/#post-4105609
For mine, I have the doser motor attached to the back side of the fridge and the doser head inside the fridge. That keeps motor heat out but keeps food trapped within the tubing in. My controller board is also outside the fridge. The stirrer for the food has its plug inside the fridge so I have a water resistant plug to keep it dry. If anyone has questions about my feeder please go to the linked thread.

Allen

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, mine is a dosing pump set up running through a mini fridge. I ran a line off my manifold into the side of the fridge and plumbed in 3 murloc t's and dose 3 kinds of reef nutrition refrigerated foods: mysis feast (3x per day), oyster feast (2x per day), and R.O.E. (1x per day).

The line discharges next to the return pump and them is distributed through the tank via the 4 locline return nozzles so the food is spread throughout the tank.

This is an older picture showing the premise of it. I'll post pictures of it later that show it completely finished
97c6281e4b655ea295f15ccb7f1d6111.jpg

I look forward to seeing the updated setup. We have a lot of customers that ask about auto-dosing our products from a refrigerator or wine chiller. These images can be super helpful.
Chad

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back