Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you prefer to broadcast or target feed?

In addition to the poll:
- Are you happy with the results?
- What food do you prefer and what kind of coral are you feeding?

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i target feed all the time, cause anything not caught, is broadcast all over the aquarium anyways.

by target feeding, i get to direct most of the energy and nutrition resources to the intended target...the corals.

i target feed, acans, duncans, bubble, frogspawn, acroporas, stylophora, montiporas, and chalice corals.
the birdnests, other palys, polyps, green star polyps, etc, get the rest leftovers floating thru the water column.

i make my own coral foods, insuring best quality with best ingredients.

i also use reef roids, Reef nutrition prepared bottles of coral food, KentMarine invertebrate food, and reef snow.

I have to buy some more selco, and other nutrients to enhance the mysis for some of the larger polyp feeding.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed. It's not as messy and I put less into the system and can make sure corals under overhangs get fed. It's working very well for me. Mine are happy and growing.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to broadcast mostly, but felt like coral just was not getting the full bang for the buck. After watching a video of a guy making a paste out of his reef roids, I decided to do the same and its worked wonderfully. Duncans , Acans, Frogspawn, candy canes and Hammers love the concentrated attention and have been exhibiting good growth since the switch. Everything else gets the left overs. Sometimes I make a mix of Reefroids, BRS chili and Selacon. This is done once a week usually before a water change.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice a week, I follow this regiment:

I take LRS frenzy, and defrost a chuck in a container of tank water. I sift out the big chunks and use them to feed my fish and anemone.

Then, I take that leftover "Broth" in the container, and mix in ReefRoids, and a little PhytoFeast.
I bring it to a chowder-like consistency. Not bisque thick, but not soup. right in between.

Then I suck it all up with a plastic seringe with a trimmed-back tip to open it a little to avoid clogs, and target feed. I go a little over the top to broadcast a little into the water column without creating a cloud of it.

Works fairly well for me.. the reactions are epic... Acans and blastos double their size after eating and my mushrooms invert completely like a nem sucking in a meal.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do about the same As Ritch Not as often as I should though . I count on the fish food feeding the corals .

Last edited:

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck broadcast feeding Reefroid, decasulated brine shrimp, and BRS reef chili with 2 Eheim auto feeders 3 times a day/night. I don't keep many fish so this is the easiest way I've found to supplement. In the video I used an ugly foam block to prevent the food from going down the drain, but now I use Eheim feeding stations.

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do feed my corals it's target, everything else is whatever they can catch I don't have corals food so I use micro pellets mixed with tank water and sucked in a dropper

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast and spot feed 2 or 3 times a week with Reefroids and sometimes I will add yeast or Reef Energy A & B.
Has resulted in noticeable growth for ALL SPS, LPS and softies, especially my Blasto & Toadstool.
Also occasionally feed small pieces of Silversides to my Scoly's which they devour

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Target feed and broadcast too since not all food is consumed by the corals which receive target feeding...so the answer is Both. Food is made by me using at least 15 different ingredients...feeds everything in our systems.

CherylT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We target feed with reef roofs, today I may have overfed the tank . Is it possible to overfeed and kill your corals if you do? We have a 180 Gal I still used less than the recommended amount but everything was spewing long strands of food I think and it yucked up the skimmer. I’m in the dog house ‍♀️

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. Brightwell Microvore mixed with reef roids and the powder from dried plankton, some Selcon for target.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. Mix Brightwell Microvore with reef roids and powder from dried plankton and some Selcon. Broadcast twice a week, target once.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
3-4 days a week, broadcast right before lights off and target -one day on a weekend.

8251reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Target feed using reef roids, and reef chilli 2-3 times a week for my Acans,duncans, torches, frogspawn, chalice, Trach, with all the pumps off. Let it sit for 30 min for them to eat it and turn the pumps back on and there is always some leftover floating around the tank for my SPS. All seem to love the feedings.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast a very small mount of #MECorals super food M-F. Before feeding I turn off all of my powerheads and my Skimmer OFF for at least 20 minutes. I seem to get the best results with this food for some reason since i HAVE tired other brands. Reef -Roids you have to be super careful with that stuff is SUPER STORNG. If I add just just a tiny pinch and shake it up in a bottle and broadcast, there is literality algae on the side of my tank walls the very next day! Those who have never used Reef-Roids, i would highly recommend spot-feeding just a tiny bite at a time b/c it will raise your PO4 levels very quickly. Anyways, the Sad part is I am getting ready BREAK this tank down so I can install the new SCA-150 thats sitting next to it :)

31144168_10216624020941661_2311367346473664512_o.jpg

IMG_7100.JPG

SPS Baili JPG.JPG

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Transfer as much water and bacteria as possible ( Dr Tims OR Fritz Turbo start 900 are excellent bacteria startups and are EFFECTIVE in keeping your parameters low. Youre live rock should also assist in re-seeding the tank to near norms

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experimented with smaller daily feedings?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back