Poll: Bubble Algae Removal

How do you remove Bubble Algae?

• Manual removal

Votes: 247 50.0%
  • Increased nutrient export (out-compete it)

Votes: 51 10.3%
  • Emerald Crabs

Votes: 171 34.6%
  • Urchins

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • Sea Hares

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Predatory Fish (Tangs/Rabbitfish/etc)

Votes: 46 9.3%
  • Other - Please discuss in thread

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • I've never had Bubble Algae

Votes: 62 12.6%
  • Chemical Treatment (Vibrant/hydrogen peroxide/etc)

Votes: 67 13.6%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's discuss the removal of another nuisance pest - Bubble Algae. What methods have you used successfully to remove it from your system. The poll is multiple choice and please discuss ideas not mentioned in the poll.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got bubble algae once, by not treating coral attached to a plug that had it on it. Thinking scrapping it off would be ok. I have not made that mistake again. Starting tanks with dry rock and being vigilant on taking coral of plugs before introducing to my system I thankfully haven't had to deal with it ever again

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy I wish I still had images of my tanks with bubble algae, I must be the only person on earth that thinks it's attractive if kept in check.

I just manually removed it. Twist the bubble off or scrap them off, let it settle to the bottom (pumps off for a short time) and siphon it out. I never put much credence into the idea that popping the bubbles released the dreaded spore.

mamedina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as Tahoe but if possible remove rock, scrape, then rinse

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great poll dbl . Never had this plague until some years ago I ordered some rock from FT Lauderdale & BAM. I have been battling ever since. I turn the rock over so no light I scrape in & out of tank, I pop while siphoning ,tried critters. nutrient control seems to work the best. I even cooked this rock in darkened barrels for 11 months! 2 years later, it's coming back. This is some tough stuff ! I'm very interested to hear what animals might eat this stuff.

Tyler Collinske

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as Tahoe but if possible remove rock, scrape, then rinse

You can use Hydrogen peroxide mix 50/50 with tank water bath for live rock with NO coral attached and use a brush or toothbrush will nuke it right off. Or you can do what I did and dump like 10 emerald crabs in and it was gone in a week. Then i used a glass cup with a silver side in it to get the extras out. The crawl into tho cup at night and can’t get out and you can get them out pretty fast with that trap.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that Chem treatment (Vibrant)was not listed since that seems to be a popular solution. I myself removed 75% of my rock and acid washed, scrubbed in addition to adding emerald crabs. So far so good

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that Chem treatment (Vibrant)was not listed since that seems to be a popular solution. I myself removed 75% of my rock and acid washed, scrubbed in addition to adding emerald crabs. So far so good
Agree 100% knocked mine out

Raindog3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We brought some in on a plug we didn't notice...fighting a small cluster now with 3 emeralds in a 20g long...only been 2 days so far, wish us luck! This stuff survived H2O2 dosing during our fight with the dinoflagellets, pretty tough!

Yati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Metallic FoxFace and a few emeralds in there before hand so if it grows or as it grows they are on it!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree 100% knocked mine out

Vibrant dosing and yeah surprise it's not listed as part of poll ...

Alright...alright...I added it to the poll...lol. Good call folks. Now go change your vote!

cmcimino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some bubble algae on a large chalice I bought from someone. Scraped off as much as I could before I dipped it. Still have some pop up every now and then, but never had a large out break. Never seen my emerald crab touch it, but I do catch him eating other algae. I like to use a turkey baster. I knock it loose and suck it up, never had an issue with it popping.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just manually removed it. Twist the bubble off or scrap them off, let it settle to the bottom (pumps off for a short time) and siphon it out. I never put much credence into the idea that popping the bubbles released the dreaded spore.
I wish I did a better job organizing the scientific studies and other useful data I have read over the last year.

One I came across studied the viability of spores in algae bubbles. Their conclusion matched your belief about popping bubbles. The spores in the bubble are not viable until very close to the time the bubble would be ready to pop on its own.

I'm surprised that Chem treatment (Vibrant)was not listed since that seems to be a popular solution.

Maybe it's nitpicking, but technically Vibrant isn't a chemical treatment. Its a biological (bacterial) treatment.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back