Poll: Bubble Algae Removal

How do you remove Bubble Algae?

• Manual removal

Votes: 247 50.0%
  • Increased nutrient export (out-compete it)

Votes: 51 10.3%
  • Emerald Crabs

Votes: 171 34.6%
  • Urchins

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • Sea Hares

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Predatory Fish (Tangs/Rabbitfish/etc)

Votes: 46 9.3%
  • Other - Please discuss in thread

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • I've never had Bubble Algae

Votes: 62 12.6%
  • Chemical Treatment (Vibrant/hydrogen peroxide/etc)

Votes: 67 13.6%

• Total voters

cwiggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had bubble algae for 4 months! Could not get rid of the stuff. Took over about 80% of my rock and then started growing on my overflow! During that time I tried popping, syphoning out, emerald crabs, scrubbing the rocks outside of the tank and dumping the rocks in hydrogen peroxide and scrubbing more. What finally killed the stuff was a combination of removing the rock, scrubbing and my reef saver VIBRANT!!! I will forever be a fan of vibrant, even if it never helps with anything else in my reef. Vibrant and the final scrubbing with peroxide killed everything left. Took about 2-3 weeks for vibrant to work but along the way I could see the bubble algae turning white slowly. Best feeling ever!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only had a small amount of BA. Vibrant...worked so well, it made me a little suspicious ;Shifty
Its snake oil. Snake oil is toxic to many forms of algae, apparently. :p

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am a fan of Vibrant. I only have a little bubble algae so I'm currently manually removing and using Vibrant. The existing bubbles are slowly turning white and I don't see any new ones. I do have a little cyano as a side effect but that's easy to get rid of once the bubble algae is gone.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More coral (out compete it). Emerald crabs worked well for me, but then tend to ignore the bigger bubble cells. That was okay because I can grasp those easier than the little ones. Problem: Emerald crabs seem to perish in less than a year. They did not bother my corals and they did pick at some minor hair algae.

I implemented a ulva & chaeto refugium and they now outcompete the bubble in my DT. I still have bubble algae in my frag tanks. Funny thing: bubble algae love high flow so much, they actually "spawn" on the cage of my recirculation pumps.

kruley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emerald crab will take care of the new, smaller bubbles. Manual removal of the ones that he misses. I have also read that the spores are not viable until the bubble is fully mature so I just get rid of them before that! However, I am sad that it is such a nuisance because it has a unique look that I enjoy. That said, it still has to go. I have seen what happens if I don't keep it in check. ;)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I took tweezers & a small siphon hose. I plucked& siphoned then applied H2o2 to the spots. Never used peroxide it the tank before . It was a small amount in this 180 . We shall see. I personally have had enough of this plague. Desperate times sometime require desperate measures ! I just might try vibrant !

JR55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with aiptasia in a Red Sea reefer 250 so I picked up a matted filefish. He took care of the aiptasia and then dined on three frags so he got moved to a smaller tank with a GSP and fair amount of bubble algae. Within a week all of the bubble algae was gone and has not returned.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant definitely works to eradicate bubble algae but it will also wipe out any macro algae growing in a refugium or algae reactor.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with aiptasia in a Red Sea reefer 250 so I picked up a matted filefish. He took care of the aiptasia and then dined on three frags so he got moved to a smaller tank with a GSP and fair amount of bubble algae. Within a week all of the bubble algae was gone and has not returned.

My filefish did a great job on the aiptasia in my Reefer 250 but now I have bubble algae spreading and it hasn’t made a dent.

I added 2 emerald crabs last week and they seem more interested in going after my fish than eating the bubble algae. Several times I have witnessed them following fish and trying to grab them with their claws. Has anyone else had this issue?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My filefish did a great job on the aiptasia in my Reefer 250 but now I have bubble algae spreading and it hasn’t made a dent.

I added 2 emerald crabs last week and they seem more interested in going after my fish than eating the bubble algae. Several times I have witnessed them following fish and trying to grab them with their claws. Has anyone else had this issue?
I trust a politician more than i trust emerald crabs

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just battled my first case of bubble algae. I shouldn’t say it was a battle. I dropped in an emerald crab and overnight the bubble algae was gone. Now I’m watching him closely, I don’t like the menacing looks he gives.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just battled my first case of bubble algae. I shouldn’t say it was a battle. I dropped in an emerald crab and overnight the bubble algae was gone. Now I’m watching him closely, I don’t like the menacing looks he gives.

The last 2 emerald crabs I added had large claws and started chasing my fish. I already removed one and the other one is playing hide and seek. Also my zoa colonies have been shrinking and they may have caused this also! :mad:

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting an old post because, well, bubble algae never goes out of style. And as you may have guessed I an currently dealing with some bubble agae. As far as the poll I selected "other" Lets see how you guys like my odd approach - I burn it out. I take several ounces of tank water out with a coffee mug, I then bring that to a roiling boil in the microwave. Next add a few drops of hydrogen peroxide. I then suck that into a large syringe. Then I go into the tank with the syringe, poke the bubbles and a squirt boiling H2o2 tank water on it. I'm bringing this method forward from it's success on aptasia, which my CBB never touched (but the f**ker made quick work of the beautiful and large pink Hawaiian feather duster I'd gotten my wife). If I can manually remove it I do, but I think this is great when the bubbles are down in crevices and you can't pick them out. My weapon of choice; . Currently unavailable, but what you're looking for is the long metal tip to reach into crevices and poke with.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Foxface and Scopas Tang love the stuff.

What they cant reach in deep crevasses, I use a bamboo skewer to either push free or pop and let the fish clean up. Free food.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm in the add emerald crabs, let them fix the bubble algae breakout and then remove the crabs camp.

Back