Poll: Chaeto/macroalgae - To tumble or not to tumble?

Chaeto/Macroalgae - Does Yours Tumble?

• Yes - mine tumbles

Votes: 76 8.3%
  • No - mine does not tumble

Votes: 596 64.9%
  • I use an algae reactor

Votes: 57 6.2%
  • I do not utilize macroalgaes

Votes: 51 5.5%
  • I do not have a refugium

Votes: 139 15.1%

• Total voters

outdoorsgal123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this was a great thread! I didn’t even know tumbling chaeto was a thing. I learned a lot reading everybody’s comments and will be experimenting with it later today!

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only tumbles if you aren’t growing it fast enough [emoji56]

7129d62265d506ee7174fc7686abd490.jpg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tumbling is not necessary for chaeto growth. It does make for some awesome videos, however. I would like to get some experiments going about growth rates when not tumbled vs tumbled in a standard aquarium setup. We do recommend flipping and turning your chaeto every few days to once a week if it is not tumbling to try and change the parts getting light.

Victor Noda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does not tumble and as a matter of fact it builds up a tan slimy something on top of the algae. Any ideas?
I crushed mine down to a baseball size...and then it died off. Off to my LFS to go buy some more.

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think almost everyone would want it to tumble to get even light coverage but some people do not have a fuge where it is possible.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think almost everyone would want it to tumble to get even light coverage but some people do not have a fuge where it is possible.

Isnt removing it periodically - so the whatever amount you have is getting enough light/flow? Too much chaeto may take out too many nutrients? I guess the answer to me would be let your chaeto grow to the point where your nutrients are controller (where you want them) and keep the chaeto at that level by removing some as needed to maintain them. Likewise - if you don't have adequate light you might need to move it more frequently - if you have adequate light it shouldn't be a problem? or am I incorrect

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Isnt removing it periodically - so the whatever amount you have is getting enough light/flow? Too much chaeto may take out too many nutrients? I guess the answer to me would be let your chaeto grow to the point where your nutrients are controller (where you want them) and keep the chaeto at that level by removing some as needed to maintain them. Likewise - if you don't have adequate light you might need to move it more frequently - if you have adequate light it shouldn't be a problem? or am I incorrect

Yes and no. A couple things to deconstruct here.

Too much chaeto or any macro can bottom out your nutrients. Macroalgaes are very adept at dealing with low nutrient periods and can often store "unprocessed" nitrates and phosphates for later use. When people are at 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates, we recommend two routes
  1. Remove a large mass of macroalgae, leaving a smaller clump behind. One method for modulating the rate of nitrate/phosphate uptake by the macroalgae is to remove a mass of macroalgae (you could also alter photoperiods, but with a limit, longer fuge photoperiod(I limit it to 16hours max personally) --> higher pH--> faster calcification. (This is similar to what you suggested by using chaeto as the controller)
  2. Feed your tank more but remove a smaller clump of macroalgae.

For light coverage, tumbling is great because you are exposing all the plant to photosynthesis. It is by no means necessary, but it can increase the rate of growth of the macroalgae and keep it healthier. This does not mean that if you do not tumble, you will have unhealthy macroalgae.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine does not tumble and as a matter of fact it builds up a tan slimy something on top of the algae. Any ideas?
Tumbling can help remove the slime/cyano buildup on the macroalgae. We hope to release plans for an aftermarket tumbler later this year :)

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answer here is that it CAN work well tumbling or not tumbling depending on your setup. I have been playing with a tumbling ball of chaeto for about 2 weeks. It's too early to tell. I'll let it grow to the point when it stops moving due to size just to see what happens. I'd like to ask a slightly different question. Assuming that light is only from above, how thick is the optimum chaeto mat or how large is the optimum diameter of a chaeto ball? I'm new to this but it seems 5-6" is about as far as light will penetrate in a mat and the balls are more dense due to light from all angles and light only penetrates 2-3" so we end up with a 6" ball similar to the mat. I'm thinking that a chaeto mat is probably better in a larger refugium and a ball will work better in small spaces if you can get it to tumble.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/biocube-as-a-refugium.576110/

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread.
I'm seeing great nitrate control with my fuge. Phosphates are a bit all over the place though. Not out of hand, but moving between .02 and .2 (Hanna) with no real rhyme or reason. Does removing a good-sized chunk of chaeto generally increase or decrease nutrient export? Mine doesn't ball up at all, just a big, loose mat. I flip it occassionally. It fills about 70% of my fuge. Should I discard a hunk to encourage new growth, or stick with the bulk I have?

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read where many people say the chaeto/macroalgae needs to tumble and others say it's not necessary. I harvest mine every 2-3 weeks (and a lot of it) and I personally do not have my chaeto tumble in the fuge. So I'm curious to see the comparison between tumblers and non-tumblers.
Very knew to saltwater. Just bought my first saltwater set up (biocube 32) I upgraded the back with a intank media basket and fuge basket. The cheato I have in the basket isnt tumbling but it has water flow and light. You dont have any issues with your cheato not tumbling?

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very knew to saltwater. Just bought my first saltwater set up (biocube 32) I upgraded the back with a intank media basket and fuge basket. The cheato I have in the basket isnt tumbling but it has water flow and light. You dont have any issues with your cheato not tumbling?

I personally do not.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back