Poll: Chaeto/macroalgae - To tumble or not to tumble?

Chaeto/Macroalgae - Does Yours Tumble?

• Yes - mine tumbles

Votes: 76 8.3%
  • No - mine does not tumble

Votes: 596 64.9%
  • I use an algae reactor

Votes: 57 6.2%
  • I do not utilize macroalgaes

Votes: 51 5.5%
  • I do not have a refugium

Votes: 139 15.1%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read where many people say the chaeto/macroalgae needs to tumble and others say it's not necessary. I harvest mine every 2-3 weeks (and a lot of it) and I personally do not have my chaeto tumble in the fuge. So I'm curious to see the comparison between tumblers and non-tumblers.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong question. Many reefers, myself included, have a refugium and simply allow cheato to rest peacefully (not tumble) and it grows rapidly. The question should be, does tumbling cheato increase growth, or something similar. The thought that the plant will grow faster via rotation makes since, the plant will grow all the way around. Mine, once gets to a certain point, stops growing on the bottom and turns pale, possibly with die-off.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong question. Many reefers, myself included, have a refugium and simply allow cheato to rest peacefully (not tumble) and it grows rapidly. The question should be, does tumbling cheato increase growth, or something similar. The thought that the plant will grow faster via rotation makes since, the plant will grow all the way around. Mine, once gets to a certain point, stops growing on the bottom and turns pale, possibly with die-off.

Wrong question or a different question? I understand your point and actually changed the poll title. "Does yours tumble" and "Does it (tumbling algae) increase growth" are two different questions in my opinion, and I was simply looking for the former in this poll.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesnt move at all; it is growing in and among various caulerpa species and everything is too dense for any movement. I'm not sure how to quantify its growth rate; I toss a couple handfuls every month or two.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used chaeto in my Nuvo Fusion 20, it would tumble for 2-3 days then grow large enough to stop tumbling in the chamber it was housed in, since I did not have a pre-filter before the chaeto, it effectively became a organic filter floss and would trap detritus for my pods to work through. When it came time to harvest some chaeto, I would would have to remove quite a bit of chaeto to get rid of the detritus and other stuff it had caught and then rinse what of it I was going to keep for the next round. No telling how many pods ended up in the trash/down the drain because of that.

I actually think stationary chaeto would harbor more pods than tumbling chaeto, but tumbling chaeto probably impacts more water volume but not enough that I would think it makes a huge difference.

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I designed mine to tumble by putting the return pipe coming from my UV sterilizer at the bottom of my fuge chamber but the chaeto ball catches some micro bubbles from that and just floats to the top. So I manually flip it over daily so that both sides get some light and so that the part that rises above the water stays wet and doesn't die.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used chaeto in my Nuvo Fusion 20, it would tumble for 2-3 days then grow large enough to stop tumbling in the chamber it was housed in, since I did not have a pre-filter before the chaeto, it effectively became a organic filter floss and would trap detritus for my pods to work through. When it came time to harvest some chaeto, I would would have to remove quite a bit of chaeto to get rid of the detritus and other stuff it had caught and then rinse what of it I was going to keep for the next round. No telling how many pods ended up in the trash/down the drain because of that.

I actually think stationary chaeto would harbor more pods than tumbling chaeto, but tumbling chaeto probably impacts more water volume but not enough that I would think it makes a huge difference.

My refugium is home to a lot of detritus and I make no effort to remove it. And by a lot, I mean that is where it all ends up.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The volume of chaeto in my refugium pretty much precludes it tumbling despite me having a good sized powerhead in there. When it get's really dense there will be a few areas that are pale but it's amazing how green it is even in areas you wouldn't think the light is penetrating to. I have harvested approximately half of a 5 gallon bucket (pretty tightly packed) in the last 3 weeks.

My powerhead is there simply to prevent detritus accumulation. I choose to try and remove that via filter socks.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't tumble mine as I would need a powerhead since my water doesn't flow into the chamber via a bottom baffle but through a series of slots the baffle from the skimmer chamber. I do flip the cheato every couple days as I'm inspecting the sump just to even put the growth.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started growing chaeto last week. At least trying to. Mine doesn't tumble. At first it just sunk, yesterday is floated up and has stayed there.

20180103_082118.jpg

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the ability to make my Chaeto tumble, but since I don't use filter socks, I use the Chaeto to catch detritus and then clean it out weekly.

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a small handful of chaeto from my lfs over a year ago and it just rests peacefully in the fuge. I do however rotate it about once a month but last week, I took handfuls of it out to trade in and received a $30 in store credit. Mine grows rapidly and I still have a good amount leftover which will keep growing to trade in for more goods.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The argument for tumbling was to get all of the chaeto enough light to grow, as opposed to the top bleaching and the bottom dying. Most chaeto will tumble when small, but not when large. I got around the 'problem' by elevating my sump and shining a grow light up from below.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine does not tumble and as a matter of fact it builds up a tan slimy something on top of the algae. Any ideas?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does mine I have to give it a shake & turn it over every so often.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back