Poll: Chaeto/macroalgae - To tumble or not to tumble?

Discussion in 'Macroalgae (all types of desirable algae)' started by dbl, Jan 3, 2018.

?
  1. Yes - mine tumbles

56 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. No - mine does not tumble

440 vote(s)
    60.4%
  3. I use an algae reactor

51 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. I do not utilize macroalgaes

50 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. I do not have a refugium

132 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I've read where many people say the chaeto/macroalgae needs to tumble and others say it's not necessary. I harvest mine every 2-3 weeks (and a lot of it) and I personally do not have my chaeto tumble in the fuge. So I'm curious to see the comparison between tumblers and non-tumblers.

Tags:

2. McMullen

McMullen Valuable Member

Wrong question. Many reefers, myself included, have a refugium and simply allow cheato to rest peacefully (not tumble) and it grows rapidly. The question should be, does tumbling cheato increase growth, or something similar. The thought that the plant will grow faster via rotation makes since, the plant will grow all the way around. Mine, once gets to a certain point, stops growing on the bottom and turns pale, possibly with die-off.

3. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Wrong question or a different question? I understand your point and actually changed the poll title. "Does yours tumble" and "Does it (tumbling algae) increase growth" are two different questions in my opinion, and I was simply looking for the former in this poll.

Sebanyo and McMullen like this.
  4. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Mine doesnt move at all; it is growing in and among various caulerpa species and everything is too dense for any movement. I'm not sure how to quantify its growth rate; I toss a couple handfuls every month or two.

5. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

When I used chaeto in my Nuvo Fusion 20, it would tumble for 2-3 days then grow large enough to stop tumbling in the chamber it was housed in, since I did not have a pre-filter before the chaeto, it effectively became a organic filter floss and would trap detritus for my pods to work through. When it came time to harvest some chaeto, I would would have to remove quite a bit of chaeto to get rid of the detritus and other stuff it had caught and then rinse what of it I was going to keep for the next round. No telling how many pods ended up in the trash/down the drain because of that.

I actually think stationary chaeto would harbor more pods than tumbling chaeto, but tumbling chaeto probably impacts more water volume but not enough that I would think it makes a huge difference.

Az reefer, cracker and NY_Caveman like this.
  6. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Mine tumbles, quite well actually :) I had to up my turnover to get it to do it, but that needed to be done anyway.

7. bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I designed mine to tumble by putting the return pipe coming from my UV sterilizer at the bottom of my fuge chamber but the chaeto ball catches some micro bubbles from that and just floats to the top. So I manually flip it over daily so that both sides get some light and so that the part that rises above the water stays wet and doesn't die.

VDiBenedetto, Tankme USA and cgdcinc like this.
  8. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

My refugium is home to a lot of detritus and I make no effort to remove it. And by a lot, I mean that is where it all ends up.

nautical_nathaniel likes this.
  9. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

"I tumble for ya" now stuck in my head. Thanks.

SalinFL, NY_Caveman and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  10. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

The volume of chaeto in my refugium pretty much precludes it tumbling despite me having a good sized powerhead in there. When it get's really dense there will be a few areas that are pale but it's amazing how green it is even in areas you wouldn't think the light is penetrating to. I have harvested approximately half of a 5 gallon bucket (pretty tightly packed) in the last 3 weeks.

My powerhead is there simply to prevent detritus accumulation. I choose to try and remove that via filter socks.

McMullen likes this.
  11. lbacha

lbacha Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I don't tumble mine as I would need a powerhead since my water doesn't flow into the chamber via a bottom baffle but through a series of slots the baffle from the skimmer chamber. I do flip the cheato every couple days as I'm inspecting the sump just to even put the growth.

12. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Just started growing chaeto last week. At least trying to. Mine doesn't tumble. At first it just sunk, yesterday is floated up and has stayed there.

20180103_082118.jpg

Tankme USA likes this.
  13. SDReefer

SDReefer Active Member SDMA Member Build Thread Contributor

I don't have the ability to make my Chaeto tumble, but since I don't use filter socks, I use the Chaeto to catch detritus and then clean it out weekly.

14. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Removing chaeto was the best decision I've ever made for my reef. Implementing chaeto was my largest error.

SPS like nutrients.

Flippers4pups and McMullen like this.
  15. mpjmeyer

mpjmeyer Well-Known Member

I purchased a small handful of chaeto from my lfs over a year ago and it just rests peacefully in the fuge. I do however rotate it about once a month but last week, I took handfuls of it out to trade in and received a $30 in store credit. Mine grows rapidly and I still have a good amount leftover which will keep growing to trade in for more goods.

16. JacklePappy

JacklePappy Member

Tumbling chaeto is the aquarium equivalent of the machine that goes "ping"

Mandelstam likes this.
  17. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club Partner Member 2018

I wish I could get mine to tumble but it always get stuck so I give up. I do flip it just about every day.

LagunaGlide and JC Slater like this.
  18. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

The argument for tumbling was to get all of the chaeto enough light to grow, as opposed to the top bleaching and the bottom dying. Most chaeto will tumble when small, but not when large. I got around the 'problem' by elevating my sump and shining a grow light up from below.

cracker, JacklePappy and Brew12 like this.
  19. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Mine does not tumble and as a matter of fact it builds up a tan slimy something on top of the algae. Any ideas?

20. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

So does mine I have to give it a shake & turn it over every so often.