Poll: Did you get your start with Freshwater?

Who Made the Leap from Freshwater to Saltwater - Do You Maintain Both?

• Total voters

sh4rkbyt3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father bought a 125 gallon freshwater for my stepmother in 1976 and I as a kid was always fascinated with it. Purchased my first tank after finishing my tour in USMC in 1983 and started with fresh but quickly switched over to brackish and then later salt. Got an apartment and wound up with 8 salt tanks at once, all succesful :). Then a year later bought my first house and had a 90. Then divorce and 2 -55's and a 90 reef in my apartment. Now another apartment and I'm down to a 36 gallon reef that looks good and is manageable. Never ever wanted to go back to freshwater, too boring and way too easy.

harryball69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did freshwater just over a year. The lfs set up a couple salt tanks. I was hooked then..

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 15 so I don’t have nearly as much freshwater experience as the rest. I never had my own saltwater tank but my dad had one I helped care for until he shut it down when I was 6 or so. From there I got a betta for myself, then moved onto a 30 gallon community tank and then went to more advanced planted tanks. After a vacation accident a few months ago and I came across a used 46G for free, I decided to set it up as saltwater. Now my tank has been up for almost 7 months.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with my uncle's self sustaining 30L planted heavily. Angelfish and snails.
Bred convicts after the guppy, molly, platy, gourami, Oscar, etc run.
Now running a 30L Rainbow, giant preco tank.
And a 35 year old 125G African Cichlids tank. The best, healthiest fish around.
And a two year old 90G mixed reef. If I hadn't made this a retirement project....
Spend two hours a month on the two freshwater tanks.
Two hours a day on the salt. (Slight exag)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back